Canning Apple Pie Filling

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought 1/2 bushel of granny smith apples that I want to can for apple pie filling. The only time I tried to do this, the apples in the pie came out very mushy. Almost like a thick applesauce! I had a feeling it would do that since I think I watered bathed them for 20 minutes and then baked the pie for an hour. I don't remember but I think I used the recipe in the Ball Book.

Can someone tell me how they do it so that the apples aren't mushy?

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't help you based on experience Mary, but I'll throw out a thought. Are Granny Smith the best for this use or would another variety hold its shape better?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't help you based on experience Mary, but I'll throw out a thought. Are Granny Smith the best for this use or would another variety hold its shape better?
I've always read/heard that Granny Smith were the best. I already have them so I may just slice and freeze them. I found a recipe for that where you line your pie plate and then put the apples and freeze but I think I prefer to slice and freeze on a cookie sheet and then bag them when frozen. This way I can also use them for apple crisps.

Mary

mythreesons

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm going to mix my dehydrated apple slices in with the pie filling to see if maybe that will make a difference in the firmness in my own apple pie.