Canning DICED Tomatoes

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the helpful advice. :)

So now I'm actually staring at my first flat of tomatoes that I harvest from the hoop house today. I'm using the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and based on what's been said in this thread, I'm thinking of following the recipe on page 356 for Raw Packed Tomatoes with No Added Liquid. Peel, core, dice, and raw pack. My presure canner needs a new regulator, so I'm going to do a water bath (85 minutes, yikes!). I figure I will just pack them in tightly enough to get some juice out, but not crush them? Does this sound feasible?

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lorelai said:
Do you find that you get less tomatoes in each jar by cold packing them? I'm not really sold on either method, but I'd like someone to sell me one or the other. ;) Do the diced tomatoes retain their shape decently?
I like cold packing. They begin to break down when doing them otherwise. There will be a little more air space when you are done. It is also quicker cold packing! I use them this way so I can do what I like with them. I do not salt, just lemon juice.

Latest posts