Canning fruit juice

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only juice I ever canned was blackberry juice for the same reason you are doing it, to free up freezer space. I had a bunch of berries and converted them to juice, then canned the juice, about 5 quarts if I remember right. I did not add sugar as I was using it later for jelly and jam. I kept some of it for three years.

Could you please send a link to that "video of a lady and she uses the steamer even for tomatoes and saves the juice which looks like colored water, for vegetable broth and the tomatoes on top turns to sauce or paste". The part I hate most about making sauce is cooking the tomatoes down until they are sauce instead of still liquid. They need to be thick enough so they stick to the pasta. I have to stir them a lot so they don't stick. When they are getting close to paste they splat up and blister my hand that's doing the stirring. After a while that gets uncomfortable. And they take a while to heal.

I'm not sure I'll be able to use her method, I think the small volume may be too restrictive but I'd like to look.

Thanks

She does not show how she makes it, but takes about it and shows the jars. She does show how she uses the steam juicer and canning juice. I did see where most people say they can save the juice for jelly later, so that means they are not using sugar. I guess maybe it is just for taste and not safety? Here is the link.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
She does not show how she makes it, but takes about it and shows the jars. She does show how she uses the steam juicer and canning juice. I did see where most people say they can save the juice for jelly later, so that means they are not using sugar. I guess maybe it is just for taste and not safety? Here is the link.

Thanks for the link but no, I won't get one of those. When I do tomatoes I do gallons at a time. That would take way too long.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the link but no, I won't get one of those. When I do tomatoes I do gallons at a time. That would take way too long.

I think it holds about 2 gallons or more and the juice is out in 1 hour. Today, I put in 2 gallons of raspberries and then 2 more gallons an hour later. I put the first 2 in at 1 o'clock, went to the store, came back, took off stove, put in 2 gallons more, got the water bath ready, washed jars, make kale sausage soup in the crockpot, blanched some green beans and some kale to freeze and measured all the juice and at 6:20 I took 5 quarts of raspberry juice out of canner, so 5 hours and 20 minutes for 5 quarts.
raspberry juice.JPG

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should have been warming the juice sooner and when I got back from the store, I was tired and wasted a good 30 minutes, so I think I could have taken an hour off this time if I tried to.

Latest posts