Canning is off, can you figure out what happened?

Messybun

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Alright, so I made a couple batches of cranberry sauce yesterday. All of it’s runny, it didn’t gel at all. I’ve done this recipe a bunch of times, the only thing that changed is I’m using a new canning pot. They’re water bath as well so I wouldn’t imaging that should be a problem, but is it? My apple pie filling is also just a liquid with apples in it. The pineapple jam seems to have gelled alright, but there were only to jars of it. The apple butter is at least the right texture but I don’t know if I can trust any of it to storage because of the others.
What are your thoughts? Can I put the cranberries in my original pot and reboil them? It’s been less than 24 hours.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not sure about re-boiling but I would think it has to do with the ingredients/preparation of the sauce more than the bath itself. I'm sorry to hear about this happening! I had a batch of fig preserves just go wonky on me one time and not set up the way it should have. Make sure you pay attention to bath time based on altitude. I'm no expert but hope this gives a bit of input. Best of luck and hope you can try again with success!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the safety has a lot to do with the acidity of it, so unlikely that any of those would be bad to eat even if they didn't gel.

with new equipment it is probably the case that you didn't get the right temperature if you were using time as a guide instead of a thermometer.

have you changed elevation?

Messybun

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
the safety has a lot to do with the acidity of it, so unlikely that any of those would be bad to eat even if they didn't gel.

with new equipment it is probably the case that you didn't get the right temperature if you were using time as a guide instead of a thermometer.

have you changed elevation?
No. I’m at sea level. I just changed from a pressure canner I was using as a water bath to a blue and white speckled pot(can’t remember what they’re called now, sorry) because it’s slightly taller and easier to manage. I’ve never used a thermometer, how would I in the future? As long as they’re safe to eat I don’t care of the gelled, I can make tea or whatever from them. Thank you!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. I’m at sea level. I just changed from a pressure canner I was using as a water bath to a blue and white speckled pot(can’t remember what they’re called now, sorry) because it’s slightly taller and easier to manage. I’ve never used a thermometer, how would I in the future? As long as they’re safe to eat I don’t care of the gelled, I can make tea or whatever from them. Thank you!

here is a link that describes it:

if you were actually doing pressure canning before that is different than BWB canning (and it will reach a higher temperature because of the pressure). so i'm not sure what you were doing there. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alright, so I made a couple batches of cranberry sauce yesterday. All of it’s runny, it didn’t gel at all. I’ve done this recipe a bunch of times, the only thing that changed is I’m using a new canning pot.
What recipe did you use? I don't can cranberry sauce but do several things, pressure canning and water bath canning both. Do you use a pectin (which kind) or some other method. With cranberry sauce I would not expect you to use a pectin recipe but I don't know.

I don't see where using a different pot would make any difference. Wirth water bath canning you cover the jar with water and boil for a certain amount of time at atmospheric pressure. That should not affect whether it sets or not.

They’re water bath as well so I wouldn’t imaging that should be a problem, but is it? My apple pie filling is also just a liquid with apples in it.
Same thoughts on recipe for pie filling. How did you make it? I've had problems with pie fillings before, it was a recipe where you cook it until it thickens. I didn't cook it enough so when I used it I boiled it some more before it went into the crust.

The pineapple jam seems to have gelled alright, but there were only to jars of it. The apple butter is at least the right texture but I don’t know if I can trust any of it to storage because of the others.
The safety comes with the acidity of those. That's why they can be water bath canned instead of pressure canned. Whether it gels or not has nothing to do with safety. I've had jams and jellies fail to set, they make great syrup for waffles or pancakes. If the acidity is low enough botulism can't grow in it. If you followed an approved recipe the acidity should be low enough.

What are your thoughts? Can I put the cranberries in my original pot and reboil them? It’s been less than 24 hours.
From a safety aspect fine. Will they gel? Depends on your recipe. If it contains pectin, no. Overcooked pectin won't set. If it is just a boil it until it sets type of recipe, what did that recipe say on how to tell if it is ready? Many of those call for the ice water test. Put a couple of drops in ice water to cool it. If it firms up it's ready to can.

When I make chutney if I overboil it then it sets up hard as concrete, not usable. The ice water test helps me with that.

Messybun

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
here is a link that describes it:

if you were actually doing pressure canning before that is different than BWB canning (and it will reach a higher temperature because of the pressure). so i'm not sure what you were doing there. :)
I was just using a pressure canner as a regular pot, because it was big enough, but I didn’t actually put the pressure on.

Messybun

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What recipe did you use? I don't can cranberry sauce but do several things, pressure canning and water bath canning both. Do you use a pectin (which kind) or some other method. With cranberry sauce I would not expect you to use a pectin recipe but I don't know.

I don't see where using a different pot would make any difference. Wirth water bath canning you cover the jar with water and boil for a certain amount of time at atmospheric pressure. That should not affect whether it sets or not.

Same thoughts on recipe for pie filling. How did you make it? I've had problems with pie fillings before, it was a recipe where you cook it until it thickens. I didn't cook it enough so when I used it I boiled it some more before it went into the crust.

The safety comes with the acidity of those. That's why they can be water bath canned instead of pressure canned. Whether it gels or not has nothing to do with safety. I've had jams and jellies fail to set, they make great syrup for waffles or pancakes. If the acidity is low enough botulism can't grow in it. If you followed an approved recipe the acidity should be low enough.

From a safety aspect fine. Will they gel? Depends on your recipe. If it contains pectin, no. Overcooked pectin won't set. If it is just a boil it until it sets type of recipe, what did that recipe say on how to tell if it is ready? Many of those call for the ice water test. Put a couple of drops in ice water to cool it. If it firms up it's ready to can.

When I make chutney if I overboil it then it sets up hard as concrete, not usable. The ice water test helps me with that.
I got all my recipes from the blue book of canning. It is 4cups sugar, 4 cups water, 8 cups cranberries. Boil water and sugar til dissolved, put in cranberries for ten minutes or until the skin splits. Put in jars for 10 minutes. Because I’m using quart jars I put mine if for fifteen. As long as they’re safe I don’t care, I just thought if they weren’t gelled they weren’t safe. I’m most confused because I’ve done this exact recipe a half dozen times before at least.
The apple pie filling is a simple syrup and 3? pounds of apples. It said cook separate, then drain apples and combine, then cook for five minutes before placing in hot jars.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd use them.

As far as the recipe not gelling, that happens. I've had recipes fail like that before for totally unknown reasons. Maybe the relative humidity was wrong, maybe air pressure. Who knows. It's aggravating and frustrating.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd use them.

As far as the recipe not gelling, that happens. I've had recipes fail like that before for totally unknown reasons. Maybe the relative humidity was wrong, maybe air pressure. Who knows. It's aggravating and frustrating.

that's why thermometer helps. at least you know you've hit the right temperature if you use one that is callibrated correctly.

Latest posts