Canning is off, can you figure out what happened?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You need to do the iced spoon test to see if it IS gelling, before you pour into your jars. If not, add more pectin.
You guys that follow directions to a "T" sometimes need to "think outside of the canning jar."
I have followed recipes and had great jelling, AND had to double the pectin Just to jel.
Met this guy who now makes wine. He said he followed the recipe for the right amount of yeast and ended up with "grape Kool Aid." Then he doubled and tripled the yeast and turned out nice wine.
If your pectin is old on the shelf, it is like old aspirin, loosing it's efficacy, and you won't KNOW this just by sell date.
Look at how we buy really old seeds now, without realizing it.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need to do the iced spoon test to see if it IS gelling, before you pour into your jars. If not, add more pectin.
You guys that follow directions to a "T" sometimes need to "think outside of the canning jar."
I have followed recipes and had great jelling, AND had to double the pectin Just to jel.
Met this guy who now makes wine. He said he followed the recipe for the right amount of yeast and ended up with "grape Kool Aid." Then he doubled and tripled the yeast and turned out nice wine.
If your pectin is old on the shelf, it is like old aspirin, loosing it's efficacy, and you won't KNOW this just by sell date.
Look at how we buy really old seeds now, without realizing it.

if someone is asking a question about why a recipe didn't work and is using old ingredients without mentioning it there's not much i can do about that.

Latest posts