Canning Nectarines

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My neighborhood fruit stand has an abundance of nectarines right now.

I am hoping I can can those just like peaches, but there is not a lot of info out there on nectarines, but a lot for peaches.

Since they are so closely related, I am assuming nectarines can also be canned?

BlackThumb

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is there a way to peel nectarines without having a lot of flesh cling to the skin? Would freezing work, as it does for tomatoes?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BlackThumb said:
Is there a way to peel nectarines without having a lot of flesh cling to the skin? Would freezing work, as it does for tomatoes?
I would blanch them like I do peaches and tomatoes.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, dip them in boiling water same as peaches (honest, nectarines practically *are* peaches, they are interchangeable in virtually all ways). BUT, like peaches, if you catch them at the correct moment of ripeness, a quartered nectarine actually peels quite cleanly just by picking up the tip of the skin with your thumb and knifeblade and pulling carefully. This is how I usually peel peaches/nectarines, wait til that moment (which is about right for most eating and pie purposes *anyhow*) and then if some little part of the skin still clings you just remove it with your knifeblade which you've got in your hand *anyhow*.

The chickens really really like the peelings! :)

Pat