Canning on a smooth top range?

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Gram49 said:
I started this thread months ago and did not realize the comments it would generate. I am still confused so yesterday I called Maytag with my model no. and serial no. The operator said they do not recommend canning, BUT if you did there is a canner made by Kitchenaid that is tapered towards the bottom for the prupose of being used on smooth tops. The reason is that no pan should be more than two inches larger around than the burner it is sitting on. In my case the largest burners are 9 inches so any pot should not exceed 11 inches in diameter. I did go the website Cassandra mentioned and read the specifications. The operator did not mention the weight of a pan only the dimentions and the heat it generates outside the burner area. I am going to keep my eyes open for a pressure canner that would fit my burners. I have never had one, but am willing to give it a try. Good luck to anyone trying to figure this out too.
Gram
Hey, look. Here is one with an inside diameter of 10 1/4 inches (the outside diameter will be a little bigger.)

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/910.htm

Cassandra

averytds

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a friend that broke hers while canning. I think older canners and older glass tops probably a bad combo. So word gets around you shouldn't can on a smooth range. Obviously some companies have addressed this and newer canners for smooth top ranges and newer ranges have been developed would be my guess. "They don't recommend it..." doesn't mean it's not possible, it means don't bother us if something goes wrong.

Newer range with a newer canner that says it's approved for smooth tops, I'd go for it myself.

Let's see, first I have to convince DH we need a new range. Then we'll have to ditch Frankenstein for a new canner...
laugh22.gif

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Gram49 said:
The reason is that no pan should be more than two inches larger around than the burner it is sitting on. In my case the largest burners are 9 inches so any pot should not exceed 11 inches in diameter. I did go the website Cassandra mentioned and read the specifications. The operator did not mention the weight of a pan only the dimentions and the heat it generates outside the burner area. I am going to keep my eyes open for a pressure canner that would fit my burners. I have never had one, but am willing to give it a try. Good luck to anyone trying to figure this out too.
Gram
I figured it out! I figured it out! :dance

My canner (the one that says it is perfect for smooth top ranges is designed to fit your small burner.

There is a deeper well in the center of the canner that is about half an inch deep. It is 8 inches in diameter.

canner1.jpg

Only that 8 inch well sits on your burner. The other 4 and something inches is raised above it.

canner2.jpg

Should work even on your six inch burner.

Cassandra

Latest posts