Canning on a smooth top range?

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have an aunt who got a brand new flat ceramic type stove. They are now back to an electric one (no gas where they are). They said no matter how hot they tried to turn the thing, they just couldn't cook their normal food on it right (Asian food).

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I thought the grill might work!! I have used it before to boil things during barbecues. I try to cook outside whenever its hot out, I hate having the stove on and heating up the kitchen even more.I think I will try canning on the grill next time.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have had a Ceramic top stove for over 12 years and I use big stock pots and such. I just canned some peach jam. I didn't see anything in my Owner's manual that said not to put heavy pots on the cooktop. Mine works great. but... you have to have heavy bottomed pans, with nice flat bottoms so they make good contact with the stovetop. Warped, lightweight pans do not work well at all on ceramic tops.

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just bought a pressure cooker last year and a lot of them say do not use on Ceramic or glass top stoves. Same with big stock pots.
The pressure cooker I bought from Walmart it said it was safe for Ceramic or Glass top though. Granted, it doesnt hold a whole lot, but it serves the purpose.

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I also have a glass cooktop and no gas is available where I live. Anyone know of small, electric stoves that could be set up in an empty room to use for canning? How about propane? Are there small propane-fueled stoves that could fit the bill? There must be some workable option for those of us with the glass cooktops. I was looking forward to purchasing a pressure canner this year and I really don't want to blow up my kitchen stove.

organicmama

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I haven't heard this before, and cooked a HUGE batch of spaghetti sauce and canned it on my smooth top last year. I have also cooked many a batch of jam, beans, tomatoes, ect.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Oh, CoffeeGirl, hi! I didn't recognize you for a second with your new name...which is nice, btw, as is your avatar! Good to see you here! :)

Chickchic

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
As long as you buy one that says its okay for ceramic or smooth top stoves like I did, you should not have a problem.

Again, I got mine from walmart, and it works just fine on my smooth top stove.:/

dede

Sprout
Reaction score
Good morning all! I met an old timer from Italy who would use a 55 gallon drum over a fire. Olaced all his filled jars in the drum with towels to separate the layers of jars, bring to a boil and keep processing to the desired time. Then just let the fire cool down and sit for the night. Remove jars in the am. Never tried it but it makes sense. I have a ceramic top and do sauce and use wrought iron with no problems.

farmchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a ceramic top stove, and I can on mine all the time with no problems. I use a pressure cooker and the water bath type canner as well. I have never had any problem with either not getting hot enough.