Canning on the Homestead: A Time-Honored Tradition for Sustainable Living

TEG Project Manager

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Canning is a time-honored tradition that has been used for centuries as a means of preserving food. The practice of canning has been passed down from generation to generation, and it remains an essential part of the homesteading culture. Homesteading is a lifestyle that promotes self-sufficiency, sustainability, and independence.

In this article, we will explore the practice of canning on the homestead, its benefits, and how it contributes to a more sustainable way of life.

The Basics of Canning​

Canning is a process of preserving food in airtight containers. This process involves heating the food to a high temperature to kill any bacteria and sealing it in a sterile jar. The sealed jars can then be stored in a cool, dry place for months, sometimes even years, without spoiling.

The practice of canning is an essential part of homesteading, as it allows homesteaders to preserve their harvest and provide food for their families throughout the year.

The Benefits of Canning​

Canning provides several benefits for homesteaders. First and foremost, it allows them to preserve their harvest and provide food for their families throughout the year. This is particularly important for homesteaders who live in areas with a short growing season or who have limited access to fresh produce.

Canning also allows homesteaders to take advantage of seasonal produce and buy in bulk when prices are low. This not only saves money but also reduces food waste.

Another benefit of canning is that it promotes self-sufficiency and sustainability. Homesteaders who can their own food are less reliant on grocery stores and are better equipped to deal with emergencies, such as power outages or natural disasters. Canning also allows homesteaders to reduce their carbon footprint by reducing the need for transportation and packaging.

Types of Canning​

There are two primary methods of canning: water bath canning and pressure canning.

Water bath canning is the simpler of the two methods and is suitable for high-acid foods such as fruits, tomatoes, and pickles. The process involves submerging the jars in boiling water for a specified period, which varies depending on the recipe.

Pressure canning is necessary for low-acid foods such as meats, vegetables, and soups. This method involves using a pressure canner to achieve a higher temperature and pressure than can be achieved with water bath canning. It is essential to follow proper canning procedures to ensure food safety and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.

Tips for Successful Canning​

Canning can be a rewarding experience, but it requires some preparation and attention to detail. Here are some tips for successful canning:
  • Use proper equipment: It is essential to use proper equipment, including canning jars, lids, and a canning pot or pressure canner. Make sure all equipment is clean and in good condition.
  • Follow tested recipes: It is important to use tested recipes to ensure food safety and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Do not alter recipes or use outdated methods.
  • Use fresh, high-quality ingredients: Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best results. This will ensure that the food is flavorful and safe to eat.
  • Sterilize jars and lids: It is essential to sterilize jars and lids before use to prevent contamination.
  • Follow proper canning procedures: Follow proper canning procedures, including processing times and pressure levels, to ensure food safety.

Precautions to Take When Canning​

While canning is a great way to preserve food, it is important to take precautions to ensure safety and prevent foodborne illness. Here are some important precautions to keep in mind when canning:
  • Use proper equipment: Use clean, undamaged canning jars, lids, and equipment. Avoid using jars or lids that have cracks, chips, or rust.
  • Sterilize equipment: Before canning, sterilize all equipment, including jars and lids. This can be done by boiling the jars and lids in water for 10 minutes or by running them through a dishwasher cycle.
  • Use high-quality ingredients: Use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best results. Avoid using spoiled or overripe produce.
  • Check for air bubbles: After filling the jars, check for air bubbles by tapping the jars gently or using a utensil to remove any trapped air.
  • Process jars properly: Follow the recommended processing time and pressure level for the type of food being canned. Underprocessing can lead to bacterial growth and spoilage, while overprocessing can lead to food quality issues.
  • Store properly: Store canned goods in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight. Check jars periodically for signs of spoilage, such as bulging lids, leaks, or unusual smells.
By following these precautions, you can ensure that your canned goods are safe and delicious for you and your family to enjoy.

Conclusion​

In conclusion, canning is a valuable practice for homesteaders, providing numerous benefits such as preserving harvests, reducing food waste, and promoting self-sufficiency and sustainability. It is essential to follow proper canning procedures and use tested recipes to ensure food safety and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.

By incorporating canning into their lifestyle, homesteaders can enjoy the fruits of their labor year-round and contribute to a more sustainable way of life. Whether you are a seasoned homesteader or just starting out, canning is a skill that is well worth learning.

Have you ventured into the world of canning? Share your experiences below.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this is my response based upon my experience.

if you know what you are doing you can avoid wasted effort and wasted energy.

sterilizing jars, lids, etc. is not needed, yes they do need to be clean, but the process of canning either BWB (high acid items) or pressure canning will do the job. if you study microbiology you find out how difficult it really is to sterilize something completely. so my methods are to make sure everything is clean and that is good enough.

prep work for fruits and veggies is important and the one spot where a few things once in a while do slip through (an inclusion in a tomato that later turns into enough of a problem to cause that jar to rot). this is rare with good tomatoes that don't have inclusions, but once in a while we grow some that have a lot of issues and i hate throwing things away so i'll take the chance. perhaps one in 500 jars will go off. this coming season we're not growing certain varieties again because i don't want to deal with them any longer.

it saves a lot of energy to not double or triple wash something.

to preheat the jars just a bit before putting in hot contents i will spray them with hot water (instead of previously where i would fill them with hot water and let them sit). canning jars of good enough quality will not break easily. i've never lost a jar to this sort of problem. i have lost jars because of chips and flaws in seams or cracks that weren't noticed by me, but that is very rare (maybe like one in a thousand).

the comment about not using older methods. some older methods work just fine. know what you are doing or be willing to learn, save a lot of time and wasted energy. the BWB method uses a lot of energy and takes a lot of time. i cannot process 24 quarts of tomatoes at one time using BWB. nor would i even bother to try. oven canning i can do it within a few hours and they've normally come out pretty well. here or there things do happen (bad lids or missing a defect in a jar), but overall we've processed thousands of jars of tomatoes and other higher acid foods without too many of them going off.

note, though, i am speaking of high acid items. i do not do any pressure canning here. i don't cook like that or can like that. if i have things that are low acid i portion them out and freeze them and that works for us.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Living as far from town as we do, freezer space is at a premium and often we lose power, so I do a lot of canning and can a lot of our meats. I can soups, stews, a spicey meximeat for burritos and taco salads, etc. I can our chicken and rabbit as it makes for quick casseroles. It’s nothing like what you might buy. It’s very good. I also can chili. With RA it’s nice to have a quick meal at hand when I need it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@flowerbug and @peteyfoozer ,
couldn't have said it better myself.
THE ONLY THING I CAN ADD are these two points:
1) learn with a hot water bath canner first
and
2) pressure canners have 3 vents so they will not blow up on the stove!! I left mine packaged for 3 years bc I was afraid of this. NOW it lives clean under my kitchen table
You always fill with 3 quarts of water and it's worth it to buy the 2nd rack

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Strawberry lemon concentrate, good for strawberry lemonade this summer. 1 pint makes a gallon, just add water.
IMG_20230424_233045498.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
About 4 gallons of spaghetti sauce in a 5 gallon pot, cooking. The house smells wonderful. Most all ingredients were grown or raised here, except mushrooms and bay leafs, they were store bought. Farm babe makes and cans this a few times year. Because she knows I enjoy her homemade spaghetti sauce 😋 and it's an easy homemade delicious supper, for evenings when she doesn't cook supper.
IMG_20230427_163410625~2.jpg

I'll edit this post later after we eat some and she pressure cans the rest.

Edit tasty 😋 was a little thin she added more tomato paste for the cook down.
IMG_20230427_183610456~2.jpg

Cooking and canning is done I think she said she got 29 pints that survived pressure canning and 2 jars broke in the pressure canner, it happens sometimes. But that's 3.6 gallons or 29 suppers for us. She also asked me to carry out two bowls and put in the other refrigerator. I'm sure she's giving those away probably to my daughter in law and neighbors.

I snuck in her homemade ketchup and cranberry juice into the picture. 😋
IMG_20230428_200057917.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Latest posts