canning onions?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
This past weekend we celebrated 1 year in our new church building. On Sat. I was painting a small mural at the childrens's area while the kitchen committee was making BUCKETS of coldslaw for the pig-picking on Sunday. When they left one of the guys said that he had left some cabbage on the table for me to take home if I wanted. When I looked, it was a TRASH BAG FULL of cabbage quarters and probably 20 bunches of spring onions.
I cooked up a good bit of the cabbage into soup and canned this weekend. I chopped the green part of the onions and put in freezer bags... but what can I do with ALL THESE ONION? I would like to can them in little 1/2pint jars to use through out the year. But the only recipies I can find are for pickled onions...
Can I can the onion bulbs? Just plain old onions?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know nuthin' 'bout canning, but if you had a dehydrator onions are great to have through the winter that way.
I suppose you could dry them in your oven too, but your house will be very pungent for several hours. I do mine in the garage and even there it can nearly drive you out of the adjacent flower garden.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have freezer space? I vacuum pack mine and freeze them after chopping. I've got chopped onions ready to go into anything I cook. In zip-loc's they'll get ice crystals and probably freezer burns but with the vacuum pack they last forever.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I tried dehydrating onions bc earlier this year I found some dirt cheap. I was somewhat satisfied. In order to thoroughly dry the in my dehydrator they kinda got a little bit burnt. So, they don't quite taste fresh, but I still have them and will use them in a pinch, if it's just for flavoring.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you like caramelized onions?

Couple ideas...

From the Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving

4 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 cups dry red wine

6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper (or to taste)

IMPORTANT: if you intend to can this, do not use oil! The onions will provide plenty of moisture to the pan.

Place the onions in a pot over medium heat. Stir in the sugar. Cook uncovered for 3o minutes or so, or until the onions are soften and start to brown and caramelize. Stir frequently. If the onions produce a lot of moisture, cook down until liquid has almost completely evaporated.

Stir in the wine, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer15-20 minutes until the liquid has reduced and begins to thicken. Taste and correct seasoning.

Note: The cooking time will vary widely depending on the water content of your onions. The times given are based on average supermarket onions. If you have fresher onions, they will require more time for the moisture to evaporate.

Ladle relish into hot sterile jars. Leave a 1/2 inch head-space. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes for half-pint jars. See Home Canning Basics for more information about the canning process.

Or there's

: Leena’s Caramelized Onion Jam
: A delicious sweet and savory jam that is perfect with cheese, burgers, soups, whatever you like! This recipe has been tested for pH and is safe to water bath can.

1. 4 tablespoons olive oil
  2. 6 onions, large diced
  3. 2/3 cup sugar
  4. 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (not the aged sweet stuff)
  5. 1/2 cup brandy
  6. 1/3 cup honey
  7. 7 sprigs fresh rosemary, stems removed
  8. 1 teaspoon salt
  9. 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet, add onions and cook until soft and translucent on medium high heat.
  2. Once softened, lower heat to medium or medium low, and continue to cook onions until brown and caramelized. This will take a while.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low stirring occasionally until the jam reaches the gel point. To test jam, place a small plate in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. When jam starts to get thick, remove from heat and spoon a bit onto the frozen plate, and place back in freezer for 2 minutes. If the jam barely moves and looks like a proper jam, it is done. If the jam pools juice and looks loose, place pot back on stove until thicker and test again.
  4. Pour hot jam into clean hot quarter pint jars and boil in a water bath for 10 min (15 minutes for half pint jars). Let cool and store in a dark place. Refrigerate any excess. Yields 5 quarter pints
From this blog

Hope this helps

Latest posts