canning question

gypsyfarm123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all:) I have been canning pickles and peppers for the past 5 or 6 years and after reading a few posts it got me wondering..... ~have I been doing it wrong all this time?~ I don't have one of the sterilizer pots so I just boil the jars and lids in a regular pot that I use for spagetti and what not.(Its large enough that the one quart jars are covered by the boiling water)and I let them rapid boil for about 15-20 mins. On the other burner is my brine doing the same thing. While that's going on I'm busy chopping up my peppers or pickles. I then take the jars out, pack them tight,pour the boiling brine in (leaving about 1/4 inch from the top) wipe the rim, put the lids on and set aside (usually throw a dish towel over top) ~not sure why~ and then I just let them cool..I've NEVER had a problem with them not sealing and have never got sick doing it this way..(in fact I just polished off my last jar of LAST seasons peppers). But now I'm a bit confused because I read that you are supposed to put them back in the boiling water AFTER you put the lids on. Is this true? Am I missing a step? If so, how come I've never gotten sick or had a problem with them sealing and staying sealed? It seems to me that doing it 'that way' would make them soft..no? My 'last years' batches are ALWAYS as crisp as the day I put them in there..Am I just lucky I haven't killed myself and friends or does this just come down to personal preference? <Craig

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mom never processed her pickles and we are all still here. I don't make alot of pickles but neither my bread and butter pickles nor my pickled beets need processing. I'm thinking it has something to do with the vinegar and the salt. :idunno

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've done it both ways and by not processing you get crisp pickles.
When I process they are mushy, either way the flavor is fine just the texture suffers!!!

THANX RICH

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So long as your brine is hot enough to make the lids pop down you should be OK. If you are going to store them for a long time or in a warm place it may be better to water bath them for 20 minutes or so. In the good ol dys they were just stored in crocks with no processing at all.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with Hoodat. I mean there is a heck of a lot of salt and vinegar in there! If it aint broke, ...

Latest posts