1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sunflower issues - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Canning tomatoes without using a pressure cooker??

Discussion in 'The Harvest: Recipes, Canning, Preserving' started by LORIS626, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sep 11, 2008
    patandchickens

patandchickens Deeply Rooted

It is not about whether they seal. They can seal perfectly *and still spoil* inside the jar while sealed, is what folks are saying.

THough if these are sufficiently acidic tomatoes, you are probably not running much of a risk of botulism (which can kill you dead from the clear blue sky), just of having jars that when you look at them or open them you go 'uh oh, better not eat this one'.

It is awfully easy to waterbath process jars, though.

Have fun,

Pat

2. Sep 17, 2008
    Gram49

Gram49 Leafing Out

Loris,
    I know exactly what you are saying, that is the way I have always canned tomatoes. My sister's mother-in-law gave the the recipe, well I guess there is no recipe rally. I think I put a litte salt on the top of each jar before putting the hot lid on. They seal as they cool. Perfect, I've never had a problem either.