Canning well under way, pic of what I have so far!

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow--nice job!

A word to those who think it is hard give it a try:

I was scared to death to can but I couldn't use and/or freeze and/or give away all of what I had so I had put away fear and start canning a few years ago.

I bought a few canning books--Ball was the most helpful--and followed the directions exactly. While it is labor intensive at the time it isn't hard and I appreciate everything in the bleak winter months. I only water bath can because of high altitude so all my veggies are blanched and vaccuum packed.

popsgumdrop

Leafing Out
Reaction score
popsgumdrop said:
trunkman said:
popsgumdrop said:
Wow, I am so jealous. I just canned for the first time this year. Our fig tree has produced a lot this year, so I made some fig preserves. I am expecting another big bunch to ripen within the next day or two, so I think I am going to do some more canning. I had fun with it. I want to buy a pressure cooker so I can do a larger variety of food.
Please give me the fig preserve recipe!!
Sure Truckman, I am at work right now. When I get home I'll post it for ya.
Hi Truckman. Sorry this took so long. I haven't been on the board in a few days, but here it is:

This is from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving:

8 cups figs
8 cups boiling water
2 2/3 cups sugar
4 cups boiling water
1 lemon, unpeeled, thinly sliced and seeded

1.) In a large stainless steel bowl, combine figs and boiling water. Cover and let stand at room temp for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. drain again

2.) In a large deep stainless steel saucepan, combine sugar, 4 cups water, and lemon slices. Bring to a boil over high heat, stir to dissolve sugar. Boil hard, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove lemon with slotted spoon and discard lemon. Reduce heat to medium-high and return syrup to a boil.

3.) Add 2 cups of the figs and boil until figs are transparent. Remove figs with slotted to a shallow pan and repeat with remaining figs working in 2 cup batches. When all figs are transparent and removed to the pan, boil syrup until thickened. Pour thickened syrup over figs. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 8 hours or overnight.

4.) Prepare canner, jars and lids.

5.) In a large stainless steel saucepan, bring fig mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and skim foam, if necessary.

6.) Ladle hot preserves into hot jars, leaving 1/4'' headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Put on lid and band. Screw band until fingertip-tight.

7.) Place jars in waterbath canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 Minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

Notes: I didn't bother peeling or seeding the lemon and had no trouble with the seeds.

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My garden is doing well enough to feed me with a little excess, but no where near enough to fill up a pantry like that! I had to dig back to the first post to find the pic. Nice looking stash of food. You should post that pic on the self sufficient forum, TEG's sister site. All us ss'r are jealous!

Latest posts