Can't Grow Anything?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have I got the plant for you. :)

OldGal has a habit of planting ornamentals and than ignoring them. About a year ago she planted one tiny Hen & Chick in a big pot with used soil. It looked lost in there. She watered it 2-3 times and promptly ignored it. I thought about it and went outside and this is what I found:

HenampChick.jpg

This plant seems to thrive on adversity. :lol:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup.
About 2 yrs ago I poked 4 or 5 of them in a little planter next to the front porch (the entrance we NEVER use). I carefully watered and tended them for ... oh, about a week. Then forgot them. I have some neglected crepe myrtles around there and I decided to give them a good pruning a couple of weeks ago. While I was around there, I noticed the planter box and went over to see if it might be sutible for some onions or something. The entire thing is FULL of hen&chicks!!! It's about 12" x 4' and they're growing up and over each other. Who knew?
:th

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh, I used to grow those ump-teen years ago! You are right, they thrive on neglect. Nice pic!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I worked at the nursery we'd sometimes get people wanting plants that "even I can't kill", or plants for their children.

First place I'd take them was to the bed with the hen and chicks. Yes, even barely zone 4 varieties of hen and chick which thing surprised me.

I divided those things up each year. pshhh! A 3 year old can do it! Bury it it grows. bury it upside down. It grows. Toss a teensy one under the ramp. There it is a year later, growing.

A use for them that most folks the past 2 centuries have forgotten is...

INSULATION.

Used to be folks would toss dirt on their roof and tuck them in, and plant them in the crevases between the logs of their house.

The old name for hen and chicks is...

House Leek

Yep.

Next I'd take them to the dianthus and campanula...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is no plant I enjoy more than hens and chicks! I would love to have them all around my garden.... I have planted them dozens of times... and each and every time the darn squirrels eat them!! I have friends nearby who grow them by the dozen. Apparently, their squirrels are eating other things! I love the idea of using them on a green roof- and I adore the wreaths made from them.

Latest posts