cardoon

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok I found this and it looks like I totally misunderstood the whole blanching process so I need to go home and find some burlap and rewrap the plant I was practicing on ..at least I will know when the babies reach full size
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gr_fruits_vegetables/article/0,2029,DIY_13846_4720399,00.html
also the seeds are hard to control I guess as I read further these things can be invasive ..well DUH!!! they are a thistle and as much as I adore the beautiful look of big thistles these things are monsters and must be controled I guess

I myself have not had too much trouble but then I claim I am not bugged by bamboo either and it is coming up through my lawn (I just pick and eat the shoots now so that problem was solved) ..I guess "invasive" is to each his own ..English Ivy you can not eat ...looks like crap harbors vermin ..so to me that is invasive ..but cardoon ..nah it is hard to dig up only when it gets to be 20 ft tall!

anyway listen to half of what I say and if you want a giant beautiful thistle grow cardoon ..I will fill you in on how I like to eat it later this year but Hattie says it is great so I will go with her assesment and think they will be worth it when I get this whole thing figured out :)

this page shows the beautiful flowers :) I just love these things http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gr_fruits_vegetables/article/0,2029,DIY_13846_4718074,00.html

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
this flower is the size of a soft ball and fifteen feet above the ground :D

if nothing else cardoon is worth growing for the drama!!!

6185_img_7266.jpg

I can not wait to try eating it next spring

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread please let me know how it goes for you. I was thinking of trying this. I agree on your opinion of invasive. Do you think it will survive the south? I though about artichokes but I doubt they could really handle the heat and probably only get a couple for each plant. But if I can eat the entire plant... now that could be worth it.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, does it always have to be blanched? The DIY site that supposedly gave growing and preparation info has five blank steps, no info :( As a matter of fact that DIY site shows no info at all, says it can't find the video on growing horseradish and cardoon.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
that is very strange when I click on the link there is a page that shows step by step instructions? you do not see this?

I believe you have to blanch it to keep it from being bitter and really tough

and someplace I found a blurb that said it is best to harvest it in March

so I am going to wrap a couple of plants that are about 2 feet hight in heavy paper and see what happens! I was going to do this last week and never got to it

and I started a bed of cardoons to share with friends and try to blanch as well

we will see I have several new things going on this year I love that ..

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow HiDelight! :frow

I have just found a clue to our cardoon-blanching problem. I came across this advert for a special variety of them "Gobbo di Nizza"/"Hunchback of Nice". The company selling it says to earth up the plant for blanching....!! Now that is much easier (for me anyway) than all that fuss of binding it up in brown paper or burlap and having to change the wrappings when they got soaked.

http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=446

I have been looking for this particular variety for a while because it is supposed to be the tastiest!

I am going to try to get more info on this method & I will get back to you!!

Meanwhile have a GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow :frow

Hi there! HiDelight & other cardoon enthusiasts .

I think I might have found some useful info at long last with a few useful photos -- one actually showing cardoons being blanched (AT LONG LAST)!!!! :ya

I think from the article that the French & the Italians do it slightly differently -- so you can choose. This article also gives you zone info & suggests dates for beginning to blanch. Incidentally this looks like a very useful site for other vegetable info etc. It has a lovely section on French gardens to visit!

http://www.frenchgardening.com/aupotager.html?pid=11916664991580

This is certainly the best info I have found to date & I hope it helps you. I had to do it years ago with virtually no info at all. :barnie

Good Luck! :happy_flower

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Excellent link, Hattie! One more question - you harvest cardoon in the fall, so it must regrow from the roots the next spring (hopefully?) It's perennial, not a biennial? I've got one planted in a raised bad out back, I'll be watching it grow for the season - definitely will try blanching them come September!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ann! :frow

Yes, that's right but you don't blanch the same plant again the following year -- it should have a year off because the process weakens the plant. You really need more than one of them but you probably will as they they throw out babies at the sides. Mine grew from one to eight in a couple of years !! So you really control their growth by eating them & discarding the weekest roots.

Oh & as you probably gathered you do have to blanch them -- sorry I should have answered that question before!

Hope you are having a great weekend! :frow

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok so here is what I am gathering ..around the time I plant my garlic ..(mid Oct) I should take a stake put it in the ground and then just use twine to wrap up the leaves like you do with cauliflower? using the outter leaves to blanch the inner ones ?

I am going to do this!

I am so looking forward to trying it ..how can we go wrong if it tastes like an artichoke?

I do remember reading (as I said before) that you are supposed to harvest it early spring or it gets bitter and stringy

I have baby cardoons all over the yard now