cardoon

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok here you go ..my monstrosity!!!
see I am not kidding about the size huh?
6185_img_8198.jpg

this bud below looks just like an artichoke doesn't it?
6185_img_8215.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heidi :frow

:barnie :th :barnie :th

I can't believe it...!!!!!! Half of my cardoon has tumbled over & broken off. :hit :hit :hit

We have had 2 days of very high winds & the they were VERY tall & laden with heavy globes...............................but I am heart-broken! :(

I fed a lot of the leaves to the chickens -- mine have very sophisticated taste.Do yours like the leaves?

As there is now a yawning space (luckily on the side of the path) I shall be able to put in lots of new soil & compost. This winter I will tidy it up & try to take root cuttings. I will also sow some seeds of that other variety which is called The Hunchback of .........? (forgotten the name). The garden looks weird suddenly. I'll get used to it eventually & maybe turn it to my advantage. I was only saying the other day that it was too near the path & I would have to do something! Hmmm!?

The garden constantly surprises me.............. :ep

:rose Hattie :rose

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I have just found another delicious recipe for cardoons -- cooked with honey.........? Now I can't quite imagine this -- I have a limited imagination when I'm dealing with food. I suspect this recipe came via North Africa somehow -- in which case I will like it. Actually I'm coming round to the idea as I type this -- the honey will counteract the slight bitterness of the cardoon!

http://www.honest-food.net/blog1/wi...es/honeyed-cardoons-with-pine-nuts-and-thyme/

Please anyone who cooks report back -- I had a tragedy with my cardoon plant when a lot of it was smashed in high winds. I still have some left & I have ordered more seeds of a different variety.

Have a great weekend. :frow

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mmmm, Hattie, that sounds delightful. I wonder if my cardoon will be large enough this September to try to blanch? I hope so!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
all the cardoons that are huge a blooming beautifully now and the bees/butterflies just love them!

the cardoon I plan to blanch is about 3 ft hight now I wonder if that one is too big?

How big is yours? Reinbeau?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, mine is wee yet, only about 18" high or so. We'll see if I can harvest any. Maybe once the summer weather actually takes hold here (this is the last weekend in July, for Pete's sake!!) it'll put on some size.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think that as long as it is the size of a celery it should be fine to harvest

are you going to try to blanch it? if so how?

I think I am going to just use a piece of plastic (I hate the stuff but have some odds and ends around that I keep recycling and cursing at) anyway it might be good for blanching the cardoons

I am trying to upload a picture of the one I want to blanch but am sure whatever I do in the way of cooking it it will have to be a long slow method it is probably tough because it is so big ..

I have babies all over so any that look like celery sized ones I will try those

Hattie all this sound ok???

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie posted a link showing using a stake (oh, I should get that in now) and brown paper, so I was going to use paper bags.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I loved that idea ..but we have way too much rain in the fall to use brown paper I would use it if it stayed dry but I think it would just decompose here

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi ladies :frow

HiDelight :frow Definitely no plastic. It makes it sweat & rot! :th One of the sites said that! I have been thinking of several layers of That black landscaping cloth because it is permeable. Or maybe a long strong corrugated paper box. one of those strong ones fruit trees are shipped in. I've been racking my brains for solutions. I've even thought of using a huge pottery drainage pipe that I have. I use it as a collumn with a statue on top. It would work like those Victorian forcing pots for rhubarb or sea-kale. I have also got 4 old chimney pots, the clay ones. I can easily fix up a lid with a piece of wood or large flower-pot saucer.

Onwards with the Great Cardoon Experience. :fl

I have 17 chokes on what's left of my poor plant & about 9 of them have opened in the last 2 days. I had to cut about5 off last week because they were covered in black-fly & sticky goo -- Urkkkk!! I didn't want it to spread.

Have a great weekend Friends of the Quest...!! :lol: :gig :gig

Latest posts