cardoon

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
simple life :frow

You can grow it from seed, it grows very fast. Perhaps HiDelight could send you some seeds -- PM her & see if she has any. I have plenty but I'm in the UK so sending seed is difficult as there are so many regulations on both sides of the ocean. :(

It is a wonderful plant -- I hope you get one. Good luck!

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Simplelife thanks for asking I will whine about this freely because I feel awful and it is taking forever to get over it! ...I am just really sick with the flu ... I believe it has been H1N1 and so does the doctor but by the time I actually went in for the wheezing it was too late to run a test ...why go to the doctors when you are nurse staying home sick from the clinic? funny huh ..it is the LAST place I want to be when I do not feel well at my work! ..but the wheezing scared the crap out of me I have never wheezed before ..it came on suddenly and is lingering forever...and I just can not seem to get my energy back I get winded walking around the yard ..that is not like me but I let myself get run down ..so head my warning ..try to pace yourself in life ..it is a must because all that work is just piling up waiting for me to get better
ok enough whining I need to just get better and get back to work here ..I love this kind of work ...
Dearest Hattie is right if you want some seeds pm me your address and I will put them off to you I have TONS!

they are a fun plant to grow ..I just have yet to taste it and am so looking forward to it but they are a challenge to figure out how to eat that is for sure ..

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

Thanks HiD -- you are great, answering this when you are really sick -- I know how I felt with flu last January ! :th :th :th

We all hope you recover soon. Take care of yourself :hugs

:rose Hattie :rose

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight.... are you feeling better.... I took a full week for my kids to feel better.... Get some rest but not from the computers...

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight, I hope you feel better soon!! :hugs

Natalie, I didn't see any around here for sale this past summer, but I did find one when I was traveling with Mom, I think we bought it in New York. I'm wondering if it'll make it over the winter. It's huge! I should go out there are tie part up to blanch it and see how it works. It's a thorny bugger, gotta wear gloves, probably rose gloves!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you Hattie for the suggestion.
Hi delight, I am so sorry to hear how sick you are. That is truly lousy.
I hope you get better soon.
I hate to say this while you are sick but I would LOVE some seeds.
I will pm you my address but do not try to get them out in the mail until you are feeling much better.
I really appreciate the offer.
Ann, I didn't think I had seen any around these parts either.
It seems the garden centers/nurseries around here get the same old same old every year.
I think it should make it over the winter if you got it in New York.
Maybe if its in a more protected spot, away from any harsh wind and you could mulch it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
I just love these!!
Ann, I meant to ask you about your garden.
Do you need any help right now getting ready for winter?
I am just about done here so I could lend a hand.
We had another ten yards of loam delivered today to finish off the areas that were running a little low on soil and to fill in the big low spot in the yard that turns into a pond every year.
Bill also tore up all of our front and side lawn to put down seed for a new lawn.
Its been such a project but its finally done.
We have been going full force all week but we should be finished completely by tomorrow.
Let me know if you want me to come by and wrap things up for you.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Natalie, you're so sweet! Actually I'm all set, I'm pretty much back to gardening speed, and I'm picking away at it daily. If my cardoon makes it over the winter there should be a division I could cut away and give to you!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can't wait for mine to sprout!
I just saw this post and thought I would go and sow some of the seed you sent me. I will save most of it for spring though.

Are these fast growers? I am reading there are spineless types, I hope this one is not! The more spines I have the better!

I also read that for eating they are grown as Annuals. I guess being so tropical here I can grow this year round.

Joe