cardoon

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie that recipe is insane!!! OMG I wonder along with cardoons what you could use that concept for it sounds like perfect holiday food to me!!!

I love the flavor of honey in an otherwise savory dishes ..the pine nuts ..wow it sounds so good ..help me think of another use to try while waiting for my cardoons please :)

darn I thought this plastic fencing I do remember what they said about plastic but I thought that meant like a plastic bag? and maybe the fence was permiable enough to let air and water come out? but maybe not I am not going to risk it... ..ok I have to read more into the sites ..I get a little attention defficit when I am on the boards I hope back and forth so much I forget sometimes what advice goes with what ..that is actually whiy I still love books and magazines ..limited info for my flea like attention span

what about chicken wire? or just tie the leaves up like you do with cauliflower?

I am very excited about all this joyful cardoonary :weight

17 chokes I have never gotten more than 3 or 4!!!!

one of my favorite dishes is a stuffed artichoke I have not made them in ages!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there :frow :frow :frow

Now HiDelight & Reinbeau this may gladden your hearts! :celebrate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurelfactorial/3627411643/

This woman has eaten them without blanching..............................!!!!! :ya
But we must pay attention to her method!

Forward my friends; into the adventure!

Oh dear, when I think that I fed the broken piece of my cardoon to my chicks the other day................:barnie

Good Luck! :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks lots of good info there!

well I am going to try one not blanched for sure but will still wait until it gets cold I am thinking as hot as it has been if they are going to be bitter then they will be REALLY bitter...even though I love bitter greens I bet this is not that kind of bitter ...but then how will I know if I never just take a bite huh? :p

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to stick the stake into place today to do the blanching, I don't think I want to try something that's so bitter right from the start!

Speaking of eating things like cardoons, don't you wonder every once in awhile who the first person was that thought of eating cardoon, or artichokes, or a mushroom, or whatever? Things that make ya go hmmmmm ;)

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau :frow

Yes I've always wondered but I suspect they saw an animal that they hunted & ate, eating the fruit ,veg etc & thought it was probably OK & tried it. Mind you there must have been a lot of times it didn't work out. But then they learnt from that too! :ep I suppose they tried things oot on prisoners they took from other tribes.

After all a lot of our medical knowledge comes from plants being used because they resembled the part of the body someone thought they resembled. Some worked, most didn't but the knowledge gradually accumulates & once printing was invented more & more people had the information. Now with the internet we are all experts -- NOT! :rolleyes: ;)

I hope you are feeling good today -- Don't overdo things, please :frow

[Edited to apologise to HiDelight (Oooh! & to Reinbeau, Mme Moderator, I'm in trouble now........!! SORRY)!]

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the vegetables I could have been the first to try a mushroom or cardoon or any of those things ...anything that grows out of the ground I would have tried first ...but not meat and seafood ...like who was the first person to open an oyster and say YUMMMMY I am going to take a bite of this????

I adore oysters but only because someone else tasted them first!

or lets just slice a piece of this animal up and eat it? that would have been a hard first to me ..and I am omnivorouse I just am not sure I would have been the first to take a bite of meat ...

especially for some reason a bird! I could NOT have been the first person to consider a plucked bird food!

I give thanks to all those who came before me for taking those first bites that is for sure

because of them I am a very bold eater!!! just would not have been the first to try it is all :lol:

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there fellow Cardoonistas :frow

I have found more information (with photos) of the preparation of the leaves plus a new recipe.

I think it is very instructive as the blogger is a cookery teacher in Italy so everything is clearly set out. Take a look:-

http://divinacucina.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-do-i-love-thee-let-me-count-recipes.html

This blog is well worth subscribing to -- it brings me great pleasure everytime it comes through -- it never disappoints!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK I CAN NOT STAND THIS ANYMORE I AM WANTING TO BLANCH MY 3FT CARDOON! But it is cool not cold out ..I am pretty sure we are done with our heatwave but it is only in the 50's at night

probably too soon?

this is quite the cardoonathon

Hattie that site is beautiful thank you so much!

I am going to pull a piece for real today and just trim and taste it ...what is the worse thing that can happen?