Cassabanana - where and when

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just purchased a few seeds for Cassabanana (Sicana Odorifera) and was wondering what the best location would be in my yard and when I should sow the seeds. I'm in North San Diego County - Vista - and we have a great climate. Because of the potential for extreme growth, I know I want to put it against a fence.

Does anyone in the area have one and have you been able to successfully grow fruit to ripening? I would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know anything about that fruit, but reading that just made me a little homesick. We moved to Texas from Escondido 5 years ago. I sure do miss the weather...and the lack of mosquitoes!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may be on your own, Gnome-Czech.

Beavis will be along after awhile for a garden update. You can probably search him out for a PM or go to his garden blog. Aren't I correct that there was another gardener like "right down the road" from you who you met thru TEG? Probably not too likely that you would both have a Cassabanana, however.

Hoodat is in the hospital recovering from surgery. We may need to rally the SD gardeners to keep track of him for us . . .

Steve

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
digitS' said:
You may be on your own, Gnome-Czech.

Beavis will be along after awhile for a garden update. You can probably search him out for a PM or go to his garden blog. Aren't I correct that there was another gardener like "right down the road" from you who you met thru TEG? Probably not too likely that you would both have a Cassabanana, however.

Hoodat is in the hospital recovering from surgery. We may need to rally the SD gardeners to keep track of him for us . . .

Steve
I'm sorry to hear about Hoodat - I thought for sure he would be the one with the answers. I'll say some words on his behalf.

In the meantime, I'll just play it by ear, I guess.

Thanks for the looks on the thread, though - maybe others will stop by and offer advice.

Yes, the is another gardener, within walking distance, in fact, but I don't thinks she does exotics. I may have to contact the CRFG on this one, since they are really into rare and exotic stuff.

Latest posts