Cats! What do I do?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Try the easy chicken fence first, and put a cover over the garden for now. Like plastic or a sheet for about a week.

They'll all see it and move on... then when you take the sheet off, they may have found another nice garden in someone else's yard by then! :gig

sunbury chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I sprinkle Garlic powder in my beds,it keeps rabbits,deer and cats at bay.It really works...I buy a large container at SAMS CLUB,it's cheaper that way.The only problem,you have to re-apply after it rains....

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Using mulch to keep cats away idea will not work. Not unless the mulch is stones. I put nice mulch in my garden up my driveway by the dirt road. Never had problems with cats before then. Now it is there bathroom. Now I am talking about 15 cats or more from one house!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help, I think right now the fence might be something to try, but the other ideas make sense as well. Sunbury, its been raining all week, I dont want to go apply it at 3 in the morning when they're all pooping after the rain, LOL.

CM, Im talking about probably 30-35 cats. Im not sure how many are using my garden, but there are tons of them here. Its pretty bad, they've been so inbred that some have funky ears now. One has ears that crinkle down on its head. :sick

sunflower

Sprout
Reaction score
I still think a bb gun is your best way, I, am NOT a cat person and people keep dropping them off out here in the woods, I guess they think the wild animals are just gonna lie down and die for them to eat, sorry, I spay & neuter my pets and really bugs me when people don't. :he marrie

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
My dogs keep the cats out... CAts love to poop in freshly turned dirt... :rant If you dont have pets or chickens in your yard you could try laying moth balls around the garden area...
The problem with mothballs is that they are pretty toxic. They also break down when exposed to water, polluting your growing soil and water.

I have used cayenne pepper with limited success, garlic sounds like a good possibility.

The funky/crinkly ears are probably from earmites- they will distort the ears. Poor cats, we have feral dogs here, worse than the cats!

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sunflower said:
I am NOT a cat person
I know exactly what all of you are talking about....

I love cats, and have two of the cleanest, best behaved cats known to mankind... But, they are indoor cats!

I have an elderly neighbor who is also getting more and more disabled... as she gets older. She has last count 7 cats running her darn household. They are everywhere and into everything. Including my yard, car, decks..etc.... I cannot stand them!!! I have on occasion, when I have a few hours to spare, cleaned her house...which is sooo sooo bad!!! I practically throw up. She does have relatives, which she has told me about, but, they never visit and have no idea what condition she is in, and lives in. I feel so terribly for her, and in inclement weather, I will drop by and ask her if she needs a grocery run, etc... Thankfully, these cats were neutered years ago, so no babies...

But they are indeed a nuisence to all of us....

Nothing irks me more to find 2 or 3 cats using my car as a bed when I walk outside... paw prints, cat hair.... grrrr!!! and yes, POOP, close by in my garden beds.

So, in another 5 weeks, when I get home,.... this will be something I have to deal with.

I love animals....in general.. but those cats of her's...just annoys me to no end!

But 15 cats in one post, and 35 cats in another?????... I would start trapping them, and bringing them in to animal control.

Reason why I dont do this..in my situation... is these darn cats is all that this lil old lady lives for...

Like I said, when Im out and about shopping, and I ask if she needs anything.... her first item on that list... cat food!!!!!

So I kind of perpetuate the problem!

And, we ALL get old one day!!!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My garden is fenced they jump over it to poo in the freshly dug dirt unless my dog sees them first

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh believe me I do plan on trapping. We had a great warm spell last week (70's) and the sun beats down good in the afternoon on our front door. Well, I cant even have the screen door open because I smell cat pee. The worst smell there is next to a skunk.
The only draw back is The neighbor's Uncle runs the Animal Shelter :/
Small town, and who is related to who around here. If you all know what I mean.

Oh I have two cats there were strays, yeah lot of tuck and roll animals here. They are fixed. Took in 4 dogs, tuck and rolls also, fixed. And not to mention up to date with shots and licsense.
I will beat 100.00 those cats do not have shots.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ranchhand said:
momofdrew said:
My dogs keep the cats out... CAts love to poop in freshly turned dirt... :rant If you dont have pets or chickens in your yard you could try laying moth balls around the garden area...
The problem with mothballs is that they are pretty toxic. They also break down when exposed to water, polluting your growing soil and water.

I have used cayenne pepper with limited success, garlic sounds like a good possibility.

The funky/crinkly ears are probably from earmites- they will distort the ears. Poor cats, we have feral dogs here, worse than the cats!
Great point, Ranch. Its been raining off and on all week, so I definitely wouldnt want to do that. I dont want to kill the cats, I just dont want them using my garden as a poop box! Ahh, earmites, didnt think of that. Poor things, one had a caked up eye yesterday, but they're insane.

Trapping has crossed my mind, and when I can, Im going to get me a couple traps. Obviously the people dont care too much for the cats, they're breeding like mad and most, if not all, appear to be sick. Thank you all for your suggestions.

My friend also said something about making them a litter box with sand or something, something that might lead them away from my garden. I've got a bag of sand in the cellar, but Im afraid that it would bring all of the cats over! :barnie

Latest posts