Cats! What do I do?

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Well Im cleaning my garden, getting it all prepped. I planted a few random things, just for the heck of it. The seeds were 5 for $1, so it wont be too much if a loss. I planted carrots, beets, etc. Anyways, I went out this morning and a chunk of my radish row was dug up and there were cat prints all over. We have tons of cats out here because the neighbors dont know what the heck spay & neuter means. What can I do to keep those things out of there? Im sure they're pooping in there and I really dont want my food growing with cat poop. And its not going to grow if they dig it all up! Thanks for any help guys.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, welcome to my world. I've been fishing out cat poop from my garden for days... they like to go where I planted my radishes... grrrrr

I'm going to line my fence with chicken wire to help keep them out.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Will chicken wire work? I can easily do that, but I'd figure they'd just climb right on over. I really dont want to be eating veggies grown in cat poop!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My dogs keep the cats out... CAts love to poop in freshly turned dirt... :rant If you dont have pets or chickens in your yard you could try laying moth balls around the garden area...

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depends on how determined the cats are. If all they are doing is pooping, then it's easy enough for them to find a more convenient place to go if you put up the simplest fencing. They aren't going to go way out of their way for a mere litterbox site, it's just that your garden is convenient. Probably because you clean it for them :lol:

If they are eating sprouts in your garden, well, cats are known for going after the most out-of-reach houseplant so they can eat delicious, tasty sprouts / dried flower arrangements / rubber bands. Don't plant catnip, whatever you do.

ETA: if they are persistent, aluminium foil works on occasion. Put strips of it around the area where they go, weighted down with rocks or something. They dislike how it crinkles under them, somehow, although this doesn't work with every single cat on earth, it does work for most.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Would moth balls work? the only animals out there are the cats! lol.

Rosalind, a fence wont be difficult to put up. I've got a couple rolls of chicken wire doing nothing. So far they're just pooping, but I've got nothing coming up yet since I just planted, so I dont know if they'll try eating the stuff or not! Thanks!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
small lead copper coated projectiles that move very very fast! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

I still think the fence is best.... cats only need to 'go' when they're in there... they chose easy locations and if you make it difficult they move on.

I have a fence up, but they fit between the bars too easily. So I'm lining the bottom 2-3 ft with chicken wire to keep them out. Which is good, because my silkies fit right through too! (However, my ducks have gotten too fat...LMAO)

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LOL, G4F! My brother suggested that, but no thanks.

vfem, my only problem with that is my garden is right up against a fence and they could hop right off of it into the garden. But its always worth a shot, right?

Thanks again everyone.

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Here are a few things I've heard of. I have dogs, so I don't have that problem. My cat stays out of my garden, except where I have planted his catnip. :clap

I have heard:

Mustard (the powder kind, but you have to keep applying it)
Marigolds (they are pungent like the mustard)
Cayenne pepper (same as mustard...keep applying)
blood meal (I have no idea why...my cat would probably eat it!)
Lavender (too smelly)
Citrus peels
eggshells
Mulch

Good luck! There was one site talking about a motion detector sprinkler...that would be hilarious! I guarantee if you can find a reasonably priced one of those, it would definitely stop! :thumbsup

Shelly

Latest posts