CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
FYI... Still standing πŸ˜‚
IMG_20230524_200743639.jpg

I think Farmbabe was talking to her mom on the phone. I overheard Farmbabe say No I didn't see the news, remember my TV is hooked up to VHS and a DVD player. I couldn't help but laugh.

Jesus is Lord and Christ πŸ™β€οΈπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a real, live chicken (up close at least) but I've always been shocked by the small spaces they seem to be kept in when people post photos of their coops. But the poster says 2-4 square feet per hen, I guess they aren't very big birds? Maybe they like the close quarters and being next to their friends?

You never held a chicken? This is one of my favorite pictures of my grand daughter. I call it miss hollywood and her pet chicken πŸ˜‚
IMG_20170728_175332205.jpg

I usually know you have too many chickens for the coop when they stack up on the ramp to the coop at dusk.

My next side project is building a 8 x 16 coop (128 sqft) should be good for 30 to 60 chickens. We have a bunch now in a 8 x 16 and a 4 x 8 coops. I would like to get them all together and give them a 40 x 40 (1600 sqft) foot run.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope everyone has a blessed day today πŸ‘. Days are short in earth, try and make the most of them by doing what is good ❀️

Starting the coop build today 8x16, traditional construction and traditional wood lap siding, southern style with tin roof. Going to put it low to the ground so chickens and turkeys can jump up in and a sliding window on the west and east sides. I enjoy building things, have the picture in my mind now just need to.make it happen in wood.

Ephesians 5:15~17

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You never held a chicken? This is one of my favorite pictures of my grand daughter. I call it miss hollywood and her pet chicken πŸ˜‚
View attachment 57570

I usually know you have too many chickens for the coop when they stack up on the ramp to the coop at dusk.

My next side project is building a 8 x 16 coop (128 sqft) should be good for 30 to 60 chickens. We have a bunch now in a 8 x 16 and a 4 x 8 coops. I would like to get them all together and give them a 40 x 40 (1600 sqft) foot run.

SO cute! And brave!

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Picked up ground contact treated lumber and rocks last night. Got the 8 x 16 foot floor framed. After supper I'll go to town and get 6 bags of cement to set the 4x4's. Tomorrow I'll screw down the 3/4 plywood and then start 2x4 framing. So far so good... It's tight, square and level. And no splinters or blood yet πŸ˜‚

The beginning of a 8 x 16 coop build.
IMG_20230527_180141649.jpg

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Look at your veggies all lined up perfectly in the back!

I find it amazing that many of you can plant right there in the dirt. I've only lived in places where moles, voles and gophers are thriving, so they would wipe out all of those direct plantings.
Broccoli, califlower, Brussels, 3 rows of onions and what's left of a row of red romaine sowed last fall 😁 waiting for overcast day to set out tomatoes.

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last night picked up 6 60 lb bags of cement mix. I set the 4x4's by flashlight. Farmbabe did the important part, holding the flashlight. I the poured approximately 2 gallons of water over the concrete. After church the concrete was set up, so I back filled the holes with dirt πŸ‘.

I stapled 2x4 welded wire to the inside of the sills, to keep larger critters like country kitties (skunks) honest. I really don't want wild critters living under there.
IMG_20230528_163306348.jpg

Then I screwed down the 3/4 treated plywood. By the time I was done and putting my tools away supper was ready. Stuffed green peppers from last year's garden, covered in tomato basil soup also from last year's garden. πŸ˜‹ I reckon the grand kids will find this tomorrow when they come over for cookout. It looks like something cool to play on. It was a good stopping point, ready for 2x4 framing.
IMG_20230528_192901833.jpg

Farmbabe must have went and checked on the cattle while I was busy. She came up to me all happy and told me all three of our female cattle are pregnant. I suspected as such but I really didn't know for sure. If Farmbabe says they are pregnant, I'm not doubting... Ladies know more about this kind of stuff than guys do. Our belted galloway red bull, romeo did it, that's what we got him for, good job πŸ‘
IMG_20230528_200208411.jpg

I hope you had a blessed day. It sure went by fast didn't it?