Celery

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, are you starting that celeriac from seed or are you finding nursery plants?? That sounds like a perfect solution to the celery problem... Thanks!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, I buy Diamant Celeriac seed from Johnny's.

They also have Parcel, leaf celery.

The little celeriac plants grow slowly :/ in my greenhouse. I suppose I could say that they grow slowly in the garden as well. But, by autumn, they've packed a lot of nutrients into the bulb. I think you could use the leaves just like leaf celery thru the summer but I've never done that. . . . just wait for harvest-time :).

The bugs and things haven't bothered them but water seems to be important as does good soil fertility.

Steve

ETA: I see that Johnny's now has Brilliant Celeriac instead of Diamant. Maybe I'll try a new variety in '10 :cool:.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make use of the celery root in 2 ways:

chopped or diced in stews, soups, and with roasts
mashed with potatoes

It adds all the good flavor of celery plus starchiness. Mashed potatoes with celeriac is delicious :p!

I haven't tried to barbecue with it by I imagine that large, thin slices would cook fairly well. Celeriac cooks a little more quickly than potatoes.

Steve

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had horrible celery experiences as well. The seedlings that didn't damp off, croaked in our clayey soil.

When I lived in PA, there was this one farm, Hodecker's, that did the very best celery ever. Tender, crisp, not at all bitter, just incredible. Apparently the trick is getting an insane amount of cow manure from the neighboring dairy farm to spread on the field, and having child labor to hill up the soil around the plants. :/

Should I ever run across an insane amount of cow manure, I might try it again. Unfortunately, our neighbors who keep cattle already have their manure spoken for in the spring. :(

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks for the input! I don't use celery very often - pretty much like digits does. Maybe I'll go your route & grow some celeriac. Thanks!!

Latest posts