Central Michigan Seed Swap 2023, February 25th from 11am-4pm

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Central Michigan Seed Swap 2023, February 25th from 11am-4pm

Check out this link for details.

@Zeedman Your picture is on the webpage from last time. :) Seems just like yesterday...

Hope to see everyone there who can make it.

I sent a note to ask about set up time and if you can get there after 9am the doors should be open.

Yours, (in perpetual bean motion). Me.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Having never attended a seed swap I am curious about the format for swapping since there is one scheduled in our area next month. Do most people bring seeds and sit at a table, or are folks wandering around with their seed offerings? And are seeds typically sold as well as bartered?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman Your picture is on the webpage from last time. :) Seems just like yesterday...
Thank you for that link, @flowerbug , didn't know our photo was up there. Really nice to see that smiling face from happier times... I've saved it to my memory archive. 😥 I'll be sharing that photo with our children too.

I hope to make it there, weather permitting - keep me posted on any relevant info you find out.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Having never attended a seed swap I am curious about the format for swapping since there is one scheduled in our area next month. Do most people bring seeds and sit at a table, or are folks wandering around with their seed offerings? And are seeds typically sold as well as bartered?
It's usually held in a facility with a good amount of space; a central table (or several tables pushed together) is usually where the 'swap' seed packets are located, and the periphery of the room against the walls is full of vendor tables. If you look at the photos at the bottom of the link flowerbug posted there is one in there with a big table covered in hundreds of packets of seed. That would be the swap table. How it goes here is a few volunteers run the swap table, so you come to the table and give the attending person your seed packets you'd like to trade. They hand you a ticket for each packet you add to the table, and each ticket allows you to pick a seed packet from the table. At the end of our event, say 2 o'clock, any seeds left on the table can usually be purchased for 2 or 3 dollars. So there is no sitting at tables, or swapping the seeds with others personally. Most people spend their time looking over the many packets on the swap table.

I would think in your area @Branching Out it would be a really good event since BC seems to have so many gardeners, more so than we have here. There could be any number of seeds in any packet, but usually people are pretty generous. I've seen everything from coffee filter diy packets, stationary envelope packets, parchment paper envelopes. I've gotten a lot of seed from swaps events!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i've only been to two as a vendor (i have enough different beans to fill a large table yet i try to keep down how many i have out though because i think people get confused and overwhelmed if they are just starting out), but i don't have a very fancy presentation or set up.

i use the little plastic 2oz sample cups - they are not as nice looking as the little plastic ziplocks but i found that out after i already bought a big box. oops! :)

for me it has always been my preference to give away as much as i could, some people want to swap and others just want to buy.

there's never been a formal process for swapping with me. more important to me was getting people starting out gardening whatever beans they needed.

Last edited:

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you for that link, @flowerbug , didn't know our photo was up there. Really nice to see that smiling face from happier times... I've saved it to my memory archive. 😥 I'll be sharing that photo with our children too.

I hope to make it there, weather permitting - keep me posted on any relevant info you find out.
Is that you at the Nature & Nurture booth?

Latest posts