Cheating in the Kitchen

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcrazy said:
(and did you all know if you put a little vinegar in your stock pot with the bones it pulls more vitamins and minerals out of those bones)? That is what I have been told at least.
I've made it both ways, and I can see that the broth made with vinegar (just a tbsp or two will do) is cloudier in appearance. I can't taste much difference though. I suppose it would dissolve some of the calcium, etc. in the bones like it does to dissolve eggshells. I like the look of the clearer broth better, but I suppose we should go in favor of nutrition here, really. ;)

ETA: It's good to crack/break the bones too if you can, to get to the marrow easier. Chicken bones are easy to break.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
bills said:
One of the simple ways I create a stock, is to pre-boil my pork ribs in a pot of water, before BBQ'ing them,
Oh, say it isn't so...:th :hit
Sorry, it may be the northern way of doing them..lol
I find that they are fall off the bone tender, doing them this way. I add a home made BBQ sauce to them, after draining, and stick them in the oven for a half hour. This allows for the sauce to carmalise slightly, and stick to the ribs. The meat stays nice and juicy, not dried out as some that I have eaten, that I suspect may have been completely cooked on the BBQ.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bill has future plans to share Vancouver Island recipes on smoking salmon.

Right, Bill?!?

;)

digitS'

Latest posts