Cheddar Cheese

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't remove the original wrapper either. I just cut through it to get the size I need to grate or cut the wrapper down so I can slice it, then put it in a larger bag to store. It will keep well for a month to 6 weeks.

I had heard that about vinegar preventing mold Annette, but never got around to trying it.

If you know you will be using some of it grated I would slice a hunk off, right through the original packaging and grate it up, then freeze it.

@thistlebloom , thanks for the tip, I use a lot of grated cheese, I'll try that.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ok, the other idea i had this evening, was to make sure when you use the cheese to cut off a new facet each time, so that you are exposing a fresh face which should be relatively mold free and clean. of course making sure the knife and cutting board are clean.

i read through the other suggestions in the article about 11 ways, but i'm not into rubbing oil on cheese. i think parchment paper would be ok. i also understand the thing about plastic wrappings and off flavors. some wrappers are not good and ruin a cheese, but most commercial cheeses are wrapped in plastics which don't do that. where i've had the worst effects of the plastic is when you go to some place that slices cheese off something else for you and then they wrap it in some cruddy plastic wrap. you don't know it's bad until you get home and taste it. ewww...

wax paper will hold the moisture in, but at least it doesn't mess up the cheese flavor.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a wine bar next to the theater I go to. They have a cheese plate of all local made cheese, You never know what cheese you will get because it all depends on the local makers. Once had a brie they dripped honey over it was SOOO Good :drool:drool:drool Some times I enjoy the cheese plate more then the play

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mmmmm, maybe grate and spread on a tray, leave in freezer just long enough to freeze then scrape it off into a zip lock? I freeze my raspberries this way.

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cheddar or whatever sliced cheese I have in the fridge and sliced mushrooms sauteed in diced bacon bits :drool :drool :drool.
Never use tomato in a grilled cheese but do dip my grilled cheese in catsup.

Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey! Grate it and freeze it .... okay! I'll try that. I hope it doesn't stick together in a glob ... really okay?

Steve

Mmmmm, maybe grate and spread on a tray, leave in freezer just long enough to freeze then scrape it off into a zip lock? I freeze my raspberries this way.

Annette

I don't do anything special. I grate it, put it in a ziploc bag and freeze it flat. It doesn't glob up, it pretty much stays separated and loose. But you don't want to get the bag out of the freezer and leave it for long, because then it will start to turn into a cheese glacier and you'll have to work at it with a fork to separate the amount you need.

Latest posts