Cherokee is the weirdest dog!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dog has terrible teeth. It started as a pup as a result of antibiotics. They were caked with tartar and well beyond what a brush might do even if she let me. My vet wanted $500.00 to put her out and clean them. On an impulse I bought some very thin dog chews with enzymes on them that the vet sells. She loved them. I figured it was a scam. Her teeth are now without any tartar. They will never be perfect from the damage done by the antibiotics, but they look great.
The very best way and the least expensive way and totally natural is to give the dog a BONE to get rid of tartar. :th

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cee Cee is not a chewer. She won't chew raw hide treats at all. She will munch on pig's ears, though.

She does enjoy a fresh bone. She takes it and politely stands by the door to go out. I've never allowed gnawing on bones in the house. Come to think of it, pigs ears usually go out as well -- her choice.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I have a question.

The dog tooth paste I have says it will continue to work on removing tartar even after brushing. Why don't we have people tooth paste that works the same way? Just wondering.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish my dogs enjoyed teeth brushing. Jake needs it really bad and it's not something I normally do, but I'd do it for him if he'd hold still for it.

Cherokee is cuteness itself. Shows intelligence to make up a game and repeat it for their own enjoyment.

I start brushing a puppy teeth as soon as they become part of the family. It just becomes a part of the daily routine.

After experiencing vet bills from bone accidents, (round steak bone, stuck behind the bottom canine teeth and over the bottom jaw on my poodle, when I was a kid, and broken tooth from a bone on another dog...) I seldom give bones without strict supervision. And finding raw bones, in a size needed for Cherokee is much more expensive than toothpaste!

A few months ago I got him a sheep shoulder bone. Took him a while to figure out what to do with it. He carried it around the kitchen for the longest time!
9 25 15 Bone 03a email.JPG

9 25 15 Bone 04a email.JPG

But, only a few minutes to get it down to nothing once he figured it out.

10 7 15 Lamb Bone 01 email.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never brushed a dog's teeth, though I could see where it would maybe improve their breath a tad. I think if I could provide them a more natural diet they'd not need such a thing. This year I'm moving more in that direction and am going to let them have more access to fresh vegetables and fruit~as they would have if they could raid my garden and orchard once again~and more fresh meat, bones and all. Thinking about getting rabbits again and also picking up free chickens in the locals to use for dog food, along with their usual deer scraps and bones.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did not work form my dog.
We had quite a few farm dogs in the last 3/4 century. first on my dad's farm ( dad was a Vet. ) , as well as my own farms... all of them had bones that I gave them from the butchered livestock, as well as Jack Rabbits, rats, mice,varmints, etc. that they caught. All of them had nice white tarter free teeth untill the day that they died. :idunno

Latest posts