Chick-peas

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone grow chick-peas? They sound fairly easy to grow and I would love some home-grown for hummus. Yum!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
Anyone grow chick-peas? They sound fairly easy to grow and I would love some home-grown for hummus. Yum!
I tried one year but they don't produce very much per plant. Theirs around 2 chickpeas per pod. I remember not getting very many but maybe it was how they were planted. They were interesting to grow though something different. I say go for it ;) maybe you'll have a better yield than I did.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew chickpeas once and had a similar experience to Greenthumb.

Wondering about the low yield, I looked at Purdue's "New Crops" information (right at bottom of page) and see exactly the same thing - low yield. Chickpeas have less than have the average yield of field peas.

Now, these are farm fields and it may have to do with where these crops are grown more than just their potential. Field peas are not uncommon in the US and grown widely. Chickpeas are kind of a specialty crop.

PW, you may be able to work them into a rotation with other things in your garden. They are quick so they can be in and out and you can go on to something else on the same ground.

Steve

Latest posts