Chicken Coop Question

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our chicken run is covered with 2x4” welded wire, also have a 2’ wide apron made of the same wire around coop and run. We basically live in the woods and have never lost a chicken to a predator. Actually the entire run is the welded wire , we have 24” metal roofing around the bottom of run so a raccoon can not reach in a grab a chicken. Last summer we did have a young Cooper’s hawk fit through the wire and get in the run. He was young and had no idea what to do , ended up getting thrashed a little by the rooster. DW was afraid to go in run so ended up calling rescue for birds of prey. The guy who came out said the poor thing was fresh out of the nest and very hungry and thin. A month later he called and said they had worked with the hawk and successfully released it back to the wild. Other than that nothing has gotten in to the coop or run and I have saw a horned owl in the tree next to the run more than once. If you are going to keep them confined to a run and coop they are easily defended against predators. Now that I have said that we will probably have a weasel come and raise heck lol.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that there is no door on the pop door just a hole only. If I have to work in the coop or run I just screw a piece of plywood over it to keep chickens out of work area. Other than that it is open year around.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
For feeding, check out "Chicken Trigger". I put one in the bottom of a trash can. I can fill the can with 100lbs of feed and be gone for a week without worrying about them running out.
For water, there are systems that you can hook up to a hose where several little 'cups' along a small pipe will provide endless clean water.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can even apply the nipple cups to a 5 gal bucket or any other receptacle for a long time water supply.

I'm the same as Collector...my pop doors are never closed all year round but for another reason. I have my own predators living around my coop and nothing gets through. They are my living fence/run.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only chickens I've ever lost to a predator were two chicks that were still small enough to fit through the pen wire. A hawk was stationed in a pine and picked them off.

We're like Collector in that we live in the woods. There are coyotes and coons we've seen snooping around, but in 8 years no incidents other than the hawk and 2 chicks.

My pen is cattle panels with 2x4 welded wire on the inside. The new coop is raised up off the ground a few feet. I never shut the pop door year round.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only predator I'm really worried about is raccoons. The run walls are at least 6.5' tall, made with 1x2 strong fencing, and very secure, so I can't see a dog somehow getting up there to have its way with a chicken wire top. But a raccoon.....

I know the stronger wire would be the best answer, but it would also be a lot harder to install. And pricier. Obviously I am not trying to save money on eggs by having chickens. They are just so much better tasting. :\

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
How big is that run? How much wire are we talking about? What does the top of the run look like in regard to attaching the wire and supporting the span? How much are you willing to spend to have chickens again? I think these are the types of things you need to think about when deciding which way to go.

Hot wire can be a good solution if you have electricity. Maybe you could fine a charger on Craigslist to reduce costs? Have you checked your local suppliers to see what other wire is available, stronger than chicken wire but still fairly inexpensive?

Chicken wire will provide some protection, even against raccoons, especially if it is attached well. Just because a big one can tear it does not mean one will show up and attack it. Another question is your risk tolerance. How devastated would you be if you were unlucky. You might go decades without a problem or one might show up the first night. It is a balance of risk tolerance, cost, and work. The uncertainty of what will happen versus what might happen makes it a really rough decision.

Latest posts