Chicken Coop Question

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hot wire can be a good solution if you have electricity.

Electric chargers are less expensive, but there are good quality solar and battery chargers also. I have an old 6 volt charger that still works after 30ish years. The battery is housed in a weather resistant housing, and I've used it for horses, dogs, and once with a wire a foot off the ground to keep the chickens out of a small garden plot.
I also have a small electric charger that I made a weatherproof cover for so I could keep it more conveniently away from the house.
I've mentioned this several times, and I'm embarrassed to keep chirping about it, but I use a d cell operated fence at work and a solar one also, and they both have impressed me. They're very portable if that's an issue, and pack a good enough zap to discourage the hardened criminal type deer I have to deal with.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Electric chargers are less expensive, but they make good quality solar and battery chargers also. I have an old 6 volt charger that still works after 30ish years. The battery is housed in a weather resistant housing, and I've used it for horses, dogs, and once with a wire a foot off the ground to keep the chickens out of a small garden plot.
I also have a small electric charger that I made a weatherproof cover for so I could keep it more conveniently away from the house.
I've mentioned this several times, and I'm embarrassed to keep chirping about it, but I use a d cell operated fence at work and a solar one also, and they both have impressed me. They're very portable if that's an issue, and pack a good enough zap to discourage the hardened criminal type deer I have to deal with.

i'm keeping my eyes on this kind of setup because i may have to resort to it in some form to keep the deer out and also i'm daydreaming of a chipmunk proof fence... if i ever want edamame soybeans again i'm going to have to.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me, an enabler? Oh,come on. I just try to explain options. Now just because those explanations may tend more toward how things can work instead of why they won't, does that really make me an enabler?

Supposedly when Eisenhower was asked how he picked his generals he said he did not want someone that was right 100% of the time. By the time they figure out it is 100% the right thing to do the opportunity had passed. He wanted someone that was willing to make a good decision based on the information available at the time.

Latest posts