2 packages of instant yeast

1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick butter, softened and cut up in slices

1 egg white
2 tbsp of water

Add the 1/3 cup of bread flour to 1 cup water in a sauce pan. Mix on medium heat until it forms a thick paste.
Remove and set aside to cool.

In a mixer, mix 5 cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. With the cooled flour paste, mix in the milk, vanilla and eggs. Make a well in the bowl and add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Use the bread/kneading hook on the mixer and add the softened butter one slice at a time. Knead for 20 minutes or until the dough is elastic and smooth. Set in a dry place and let it rise until double in size. https://omegle.site/

Shape the dough into rolls or loaves. Allow to rise again. Mix 1 egg white with 2 tbsp of water. Brush onto the buns before baking. If making loaves, bake for 35 to 40 minutes in 350 degree oven OR until the top is golden brown. Do not overbake, it will make your bread hard. Remove, cool and Enjoy! Makes 2 loaves. https://ometvs.com/

Pickles. Boiled eggs and garlic and hot peppers and white vinegar, salt, and water.

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One problem, @Marie2020 , is if the hash browns aren't anywhere close to falling apart - like a gooey mess.

Lazy, I just read through 3 webpages of recipes. For such a simple dish, I was surprised that there were differences and strong opinions on preparation. I went with the guy who not only makes it most like I do but went the extra mile, or 3, and showed how doing things differently made for unacceptable hash browns ;). This guy isn't lazy!

I also liked his Grinch quote on what may happens if it's done wrong: ""an appalling dump heap, overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots". Ha Ha!

;)Steve
btw, if you want to confirm that this guy likes to do it right, click on his biscuit recipe :). i just make drop biscuits - this guy would run me out of the kitchen! nevertheless, his selected hash brown technique is really, quite simple.
In the Jewish community, you get a similar argument with regards to latkes. While I LOVE my mother's kind (when she deigns to make them) I have long learned that latkes are on the very long list of "foods I should only eat IF they're my mom's recipe.". And standard commercial latke like some delis might carry is DISGUSTING to me, BECAUSE it is so flabby and heavy (and, in the case of the ones my local temple once served us, green for some reason.)

According to mom, the key is that you have to squeeze the shredded raw potatoes like BLAZES in order to get as much liquid out of them as possible, as the drier the potatoes are, the crispier they will turn out (plus, the leeks and onion powder for flavor don't hurt either.)

Moving back onto eggs, back before I went to the hospital, one of the standard breakfasts my mom would make me would be savory French toast sandwiches, which were basically a croque monsieur (ham and cheese sandwich) with the bread dipped in eggs and then the whole thing pan fried. I gave them up after going to the hospital, first for the carb count, then when my lactose intolerance kicked in (this was a little later when I had resurrected as a standard croque monsieur, sans the egg, so I could make it myself) and I stated having problems with the cheese, then when my digestive system started disliking the grease from the frying, and finally when I started having problem with the (turkey) ham.

Egg whites also feature prominently in one of my favorite Chinese dishes, West Lake Soup. On the surface this is just egg drop soup with minced beef and cilantro added, but they do something to make it taste a lot better than standard egg drop, something that so far eludes my ability to make it myself (maybe they are using Superior Broth, which I don't have the time or patience to make myself at home.)

I DO make a kind of egg drop at home, though it doesn't really resemble the standard kind, being brown instead of yellow (we add a LOT of five spice powder)

And, of course no discussion of hash browns would be complete without mentioning the dish that one of my Ramen places in Manhattan used to do (something something bacon Jaya) which consisted of COLLASAL shrimp wrapped in bacon, covered in hash browns and deep fried.) One of their tastiest entrees (alas that branch closed, and, as far as I know, the other branch doesn't do it, being much smaller and not having the kitchen space.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to mom, the key is that you have to squeeze the shredded raw potatoes like BLAZES in order to get as much liquid out of them as possible, as the drier the potatoes are, the crispier they will turn out (plus, the leeks and onion powder for flavor don't hurt either.)

what if you wrap the grated potato in something like a coffee filter and then press it between a few towels for a while (stacking heavy things on it)?

i know what you mean though about liking dishes served certain ways only and if someone else tries to make it it just isn't right or even worth eating because you're so set on what you do like and you'll be disappointed with any other version. i was that way about hot and sour soup and crispy orange beef from a place up north, nobody else made it the same way and then the owners changed and it wasn't as good any more and i've not been back for many years now. it's a long drive from here to there (8-9hrs).
they made their hot and sour soup with roasted pork slices being much of the broth flavor and then they added all the vegetables and mushrooms and egg drops too but the most important part was that the hot was not black pepper but instead roasted red chili flakes (and not a bunch of seeds). i've never taken the time to try to make it myself here because Mom won't touch it and it's a lot more special ingredients than i'd ever have plus we don't roast pork hardly ever now either. we're kinda stuck in our ways with cooking here. Mom is picky and not spice tolerant and i'm happy to eat about anything so i only get into the spicy stuff once in a while and in the meantime i use a bottle of Sriracha or some other sauce to bring some heat to things.

Latest posts