"Chicken Garden"

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We raised a bunch of CornishX last summer and free ranged them on my lawn. I want to do more this year, but I would like to keep all the chickens in the back corral away from my flowers and vegetables, so I am wanting to plant some fast growing stuff to give them cover to run under from hawks, as well as something they can peck around in. My thought is to plant some pumpkin, since it grows fast, and maybe some berry bushes which would be more permanent, and maybe throw a cover crop sort of seed in the corral. These birds don't get to go outside until they are 3-4 weeks old and I butchered the last group at 8 weeks, so I think it might work.
What are your thoughts, and are there other things I might be able to plant that would give quick cover??

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have zebra grass in the center of my yard. 4 groups of it in a rough square. The chicens love to run between the groupings and hide in the middle. Right now it's all dry and yellow, but it's still standing. I won't cut it down for about another month, and it will start coming back around April. I like it because it's year round cover for them.....and it's perennial.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever eaten pumpkin/squash vines, Petey? Taste just like squash ;). I think the chickens would find that to be true, also.

I can't promise you that they'd leave them alone either, but I know someone who had a whole bunch of chickens and they had a yard with a half dozen sunflower plants. The plants had grown up where the birds couldn't quite reach them before they were turned in and the sunflowers were still fine weeks after the hens had cleaned out every other bit of green in that yard.

Scroll down on this page to Brooder Yard Greens - Spring Pack (click). Sand Hill Preservation has some good ideas for chickens.

Steve

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I eat the smaller squash, but the cows, chickens and dogs...yes dogs...love pumpkin. It keeps coming up volunteer because they scatter the seeds EVERYWHERE in my yard, so I thought it might be a good choice for the 'chicken corral'...which is an actual corral ...just dirt right now, where i keep cows, sheep and goats from time to time. That way they would have cover and pickins because I am LOCKING THEM OUT OF MY YARD AND GARDEN! :barnie

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since chickens will eat just about anything you can grow... I think I would opt for putting up a temporary structure. I have some heavy metal roofing that I have set up on blocks. The chickens can run to safety or get out of the rain. For the future- I do have small pine trees and lilac bushes in my chicken yard- which they are not bothering. Couple of seasons before they would be big enough for safety though. Let us know how your plan works!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Neat stuff that Sandhill carries!
Oh! A couple of evergreens would be a slick idea! I could run another fence inside and make it like an alley so the other critters don't eat em during THEIR corral time...neat ideas...a drip would fit perfect...oh yeah!!!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Apparently, my hubby had the same problem as you petey and "planted" an International. It was there for several months and Ms. Leg'ern chose that for her hiding spot.

8199_ms_legern.jpg

However, on most days, I would find the flock hanging out in one of my gardens under the holly and cedar trees. They are planted just so to make perfect little hiding spots to hang out in. And, the girls enjoy strewing the bark mulch all over the place! (can you see all 5 of them?)

8199_hiding.jpg

I think that everygreens are a perfect solution!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
love the pics!! Was that a WHOLE International? My DH plants PARTS of things, or broken ones. Male Landscaping....ya gotta love it!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love your husband's gardening skills, Stubborn! Chickens will cozy up to anything!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:lol: Yes, it is the WHOLE International. It is our plow truck. So for 9 or so months of the year, it doubles as a "chicken hide out!" You're not alone Petey, we have some parts and pieces kicking around too. lesa, you are so right, chickens aren't all that picky about what they use as cover. As long as they think they are hiding, that's good enough for them! :lol:

Latest posts