Chicken Math

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Hummm... I wanted 6 chickens.. I've got 10 (+ 3 roos, but they don't count, right?) and am planning for more 'to make the hen happy'. That's not chicken math is it :hide
That is a perfect example of chicken math!! :lol:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
canesisters said:
Hummm... I wanted 6 chickens.. I've got 10 (+ 3 roos, but they don't count, right?) and am planning for more 'to make the hen happy'. That's not chicken math is it :hide
That is a perfect example of chicken math!! :lol:
Years ago I had 4 Pekin ducks + 1 pekin drake ( since males don't count I had 4 ducks. Come the next year these 4 Pekin ducks by some majic morphed into 4 ducks and 96 ducklings. Pray tell , how did this happen. :hu

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

For the answer to that...........by any chance do you have children and do you know how they came to be???? :hide :lol:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
bobm said:
Years ago I had 4 Pekin ducks + 1 pekin drake ( since males don't count I had 4 ducks. Come the next year these 4 Pekin ducks by some majic morphed into 4 ducks and 96 ducklings. Pray tell , how did this happen. :hu
All that time you say your drake wasn't counting, he was busy multiplying behind your back. Still, 4 ducks into 96 ducklings! That's one phenomenal drake you have there.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
:yuckyuck

For the answer to that...........by any chance do you have children and do you know how they came to be???? :hide :lol:
Well, let's see ... 3 times my wife first got quite large in the belly region, then she had a tummy ache so I had take her to the hospital and each time came home with a tiny baby. I guess the hospital had a door prize or something for loosing the most weight in a single day . :bee

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
bobm said:
All that time you say your drake wasn't counting, he was busy multiplying behind your back. Still, 4 ducks into 96 ducklings! That's one phenomenal drake you have there.
The operative word is "had " ... One of my neighbors ( 1/2 mile away ) rather large mongrel female dog together with her nearly grown 6 pups came over my 6' chain link fence ( 1 acre pasture) and proceeded to slaughter our free range 34 of 40 RIR hens, 3 of 4 Pekin ducks plus the drake, and 2 of 3 4 month old Broad Breasted White turkeys . :somad We called the Sherriff , gathered the fallen troops from the battle field, then a month later we got a small claims court judgement for triple damages. :smack

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
34 - 15 = less work for me! The other 19 meaties will go next Saturday hopefully. They're still not quite big enough. :p DH was delighted to off the 4 roosters because they crowed all the time and were so loud.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My total is 34 - 17, all dual purpose. They sure don't look as crowded as they did in that electric netting. I don't know if it is any less work but it is definitely less feed every day.

I've still got 8 to go, 4 when I get the next decent weather day, but the last 4 probably in February when they grow big eough. That will leave me woth a rooster and 8 hens. Then in March I'll start up the incubator.

I'm glad you posted. It reminds me to take one out of the freezer to thaw for Thursday.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now I only have to fill the 3 gal. waterer once a day, instead of twice. :)

Are you have a roast chicken or fried chicken for dinner? I'm on to canning chicken stock this week and I think I'll can some legs and thighs for quick soups/noodles and such. I've never canned whole chicken pieces before, so I'm curious to see how we'll like it.

ETA: How do you like your electric netting, Ridgerunner? Do they try to fly over much? I've been checking it out and considering buying some...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ive never canned chicken meat, just double wrap it in freezer paper and stick it in the freezer. How do you plan to eat it, dumplings, soup, stew, casserole, maybe dry it a bit and enchiladas or tacos? You should have plenty of options.

Ill probably smear it with basil, oregano, maybe parsley and/or thyme, put it in a covered roasting pan with a bit of water, and cook it at 250 for 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Its a 6 month old cockerel, way to old for frying.

I got the electric netting because of people dropping dogs off out here. Ill not rant too much about that but it is FREE to drop them off at the pound.

Its 4 feet high from Premier, 165 feet long. I have it attached to my permanent coop/run so I have some limits how I can set it up, either short and wide or long and skinny. During the summer I dont have to move it because of the grass. The grass does not disappear. But in the winter when the grass is not growing, I move it around to try to keep it from becoming bare ground. When the grass starts to grow in the spring I leave them locked in the run a couple of weeks to give the grass time to get some growth. They love that tender stuff as it is just sprouting.

One big problem with it is that it will ground out if the grass or weeds get very high in it and it rains. When the grass is growing well you have to move it and mow at least every two weeks. Thats a pain. After the grass is well established and Im satisfied they wont destroy it, I spray round-up around the perimeter to stop the grass and weeds from growing up and grounding it out. That saves me many hours over the summer.

Its only 4 feet tall. They can fly over it if they want to, but they dont. The only times I have problems with it is when I have young cockerels in there. I think they get in their fights and the loser gets caught against the fence. When he goes vertical to get away, he winds up across the fence and doesnt know to fly back in. When that happens they always roost on their grow-out coop, so I wait until after dark and catch them.

I find that if I make it sort of long and skinny more get out. Its just easier for them to get trapped against the fence or in a corner. How you configure it does make a difference.

Latest posts