Chicken Tractor and Garden Boxes

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have managed to make some good progress on our chicken and garden tasks this week. We finished the chicken tractor and the garden boxes for the front garden. My husband is putting in the last of the border blocks on the front garden right now. Then all we have to do is fill in the walkways with gravel and the boxes with dirt. Hurray!

My front garden last year did ok, but not as well as it could have because of a large sycamore tree that shaded most of the area. We talked for a long time regarding what we should do about the tree. We finally determined that we should have it removed. It did shade the garden too much, but it was also raising the driveway and invading the sewer lines. In some ways we hated to see such a grand tree be cut down, but in other ways it was a good decision for us and our house. With the tree gone, we were able to put in four boxes. They are all 3ft wide and range from 13-14ft long. There is a space near the sidewalk that is about 2ft x 13ft where we will plant flowers. I will also be using the blocks in between the boxes to plant flowers or garlic or something else that doesn't need much room.

The front of the house two years ago before we started using some for garden space. The big tree is the sycamore we had removed.
DSCF0003-2.jpg

My 9yo putting mulch in one of the walkway areas. We have a bunch of gravel leftover from a previous project that will go on top of the mulch (I think).
DSCN2871.jpg

The view of the new garden space from the house looking out at the street.
DSCN2872.jpg

This is the chicken tractor we made. I put the meaties in it yesterday afternoon and they seemed like they did just fine. The biggest drawback is that there isn't any way to open it to give them fresh food and water. You have to lift the whole thing. It's light so it isn't hard to lift, just inconvenient. I think we will be figuring out how to make a door in the top so that I can reach the food and water more easily.

DSCN2833.jpg

DSCN2834.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow!!! Nice progress! How lucky you are to be in sunny California!! I am jealous! I personally would not recommend gravel in those paths. I just seem to spend too much of my life removing rock from one place to another. Those mulch paths should be fine...
Everything looks great. What are you planning to plant in your new raised beds??? Happy Gardening!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see why you removed that tree. It shaded the whole area. Do you think people walking by will take produce? That's one of my concerns about gardening in my front yard. I guess I just don't trust anyone walking by and being tempted. Especially teenagers! I live 3 houses down from a park and there is some foot traffic.

Mary

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Looks like you put a lot of work in there! Nice efficient use of space. Hope you have a great garden. :)

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lesa, funny that you should say that about the gravel. I was just talking to my husband about it last night and said that I wasn't sure that I really want gravel in there. I was thinking more about that being the space I'll be kneeling in when I am planting and weeding and how gravel won't feel too good on my knees. We have a good pile of mulch left from when they ground the stump of the tree down and I will just fill in more with that.

Mary, it's a possibility that people might take stuff, especially with it being so close to the sidewalk but I'll just have to chance it. We have had a garden out there for over a year as well as a couple fruit trees and haven't had any problems yet. We have decided to put rose bushes in the area right next to the sidewalk so maybe those thorns will deter people...

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looking good. :clap Don't let the space in that concrete block go to waste. I filled mine with dirt and planted strawberries in them. Turned out great.
Check my page for details. Happy gardening.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good call on the cinder blocks, lighthawk. They would be perfect for a few herbs, or strawberries. Ahh, so many possibilities!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have plans to use the blocks to plant flowers or garlic. We picked that type of block specifically so that we could use that space for extra planting :D .

Latest posts