Chicken with Prolapse

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday my hen laid an egg and I found her up in the roost with a prolapse. Her eggs have always been normal size and it appeared that she started bleeding after she left the next box.

I placed her in a tub of warm water with epsom salts and gently pushed it back in. It wouldn't stay in after repeatedly doing this. I put her in a crate for the night covered with a dark towel. I will only give her water and keep the towel in place to make it dark so that she doesn't lay. Trying to give her a couple days to heal.

This morning it's about the size between an olive and a golf ball. I'll try pushing it back in again today several times.

Other than what I've been doing, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks
Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday my hen laid an egg and I found her up in the roost with a prolapse. Her eggs have always been normal size and it appeared that she started bleeding after she left the next box.

I placed her in a tub of warm water with epsom salts and gently pushed it back in. It wouldn't stay in after repeatedly doing this. I put her in a crate for the night covered with a dark towel. I will only give her water and keep the towel in place to make it dark so that she doesn't lay. Trying to give her a couple days to heal.

This morning it's about the size between an olive and a golf ball. I'll try pushing it back in again today several times.

Other than what I've been doing, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks
Mary
Preparation H may help but once they've prolapsed, they will likely do so again. It's a painful condition that causes the hen to strain even more because she thinks she has to poop. Likely best to put her out of her misery. I'm sorry, Miss Mary. :hugs

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Preparation H may help but once they've prolapsed, they will likely do so again. It's a painful condition that causes the hen to strain even more because she thinks she has to poop. Likely best to put her out of her misery. I'm sorry, Miss Mary. :hugs
Thank you Bee.
Mary

Latest posts