Chicken with Prolapse

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday my hen laid an egg and I found her up in the roost with a prolapse. Her eggs have always been normal size and it appeared that she started bleeding after she left the next box.

I placed her in a tub of warm water with epsom salts and gently pushed it back in. It wouldn't stay in after repeatedly doing this. I put her in a crate for the night covered with a dark towel. I will only give her water and keep the towel in place to make it dark so that she doesn't lay. Trying to give her a couple days to heal.

This morning it's about the size between an olive and a golf ball. I'll try pushing it back in again today several times.

Other than what I've been doing, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks
Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday my hen laid an egg and I found her up in the roost with a prolapse. Her eggs have always been normal size and it appeared that she started bleeding after she left the next box.

I placed her in a tub of warm water with epsom salts and gently pushed it back in. It wouldn't stay in after repeatedly doing this. I put her in a crate for the night covered with a dark towel. I will only give her water and keep the towel in place to make it dark so that she doesn't lay. Trying to give her a couple days to heal.

This morning it's about the size between an olive and a golf ball. I'll try pushing it back in again today several times.

Thanks
Mary

Preparation H may help but once they've prolapsed, they will likely do so again. It's a painful condition that causes the hen to strain even more because she thinks she has to poop. Likely best to put her out of her misery. I'm sorry, Miss Mary. :hugs

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Preparation H may help but once they've prolapsed, they will likely do so again. It's a painful condition that causes the hen to strain even more because she thinks she has to poop. Likely best to put her out of her misery. I'm sorry, Miss Mary. :hugs
Thank you Bee.
Mary

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would ask on BackyardChickens before deciding to cull the hen. They may have a way to help the link to site is at the bottom of the page.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would ask on BackyardChickens before deciding to cull the hen. They may have a way to help the link to site is at the bottom of the page.
For animals with a uterine prolapse, I use sugar sprinkled onto the uterus after washing off all debris, then push in into the body cavity. May work or may not... in any event, chicken dinner sooner or later.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Thanks
Mary

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BYC is a great place to go it's helped me out a lot. :)

My girl had similar back in the summer. It managed to settle after a week or two then she stopped laying for a couple of months. I think she may have over laid, she is not that old.

I soaked her in a warm bath with vinegar salt and Epsom salts for about 20 minutes a day for I think a week, she used to relax and sometimes for asleep, it all sort of healed on it's own. Has she laid a lot of eggs?

Last edited:

denial

Sprout
Reaction score
I use sugar sprinkled onto the uterus after washing off all debris, then push it into the body cavity. It May work or may not... in any event, chicken dinner sooner or later.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For animals with a uterine prolapse, I use sugar sprinkled onto the uterus after washing off all debris, then push in into the body cavity. May work or may not... in any event, chicken dinner sooner or later.
I wonder if there is something to be gained by copying a post.

Latest posts