Chickens and bees...

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anyone keep their bees, near their chickens? I had what I thought was a perfect spot for my bees- but vandals discovered them and knocked over the hive...I would like to move them closer to the house- but that is also near where the chickens are. I don't want my bees to be snacks for the chicks! They would be at least 30 feet apart....Thanks!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No problem keeping bees near chickens, our hives are right outside the coop door, and the chickens pay them no mind at all. The hive entrances are 18" above the ground, they fly out right over the birds. Go ahead and move them close together!
bee.gif

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I have noticed that my chickens stay far away from anything with yellow and black stripes!
Then they're smart chickens - who wants to be around yellowjackets? Honeybees are gold and brown, and fuzzy - and chickens don't mind them at all ;)

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
big brown horse said:
I have noticed that my chickens stay far away from anything with yellow and black stripes!
Then they're smart chickens - who wants to be around yellowjackets? Honeybees are gold and brown, and fuzzy - and chickens don't mind them at all ;)
I stand corrected. :D

You mean dont mind eating them or dont mind them as in they leave them alone.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
You mean dont mind them eating them or dont mind them as in they leave them alone.
My hens seem to gobble down any insect that come near them, although I have not personally witnessesd them eat a bee.:p

Watching them chase grasshoppers is a riot.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Some of my hens will eat bees if they get the chance.
Most of them just don't bother.
Their coop and run are side by side with my hives, less than a foot from eachother and I never have a problem with them.
I just make sure the bees have their own water available at all times to keep them from going into the chicken waterers.
The chickens free range and walk all around the hives through clouds( orientation flights) of bees coming and going at the entrance and they just keep digging around looking for bugs on the ground, completely oblivious.
The youngers ones like to dig holes underneath the topbar hives and nap in them.
Its seems the pullets are always the ones to attempt to eat a few bees but then it must get old or they get stung because it doesn't continue for long.
Sorry about the vandals tipping your hives, I hope they got a "souvenier" from their experience.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are in the process of moving the hive. We are doing it a few feet at a time. We tried to move it all at once and the bees were very confused, flying back to the old home base. For the hour or so that the hive was in the chicken yard, the chickens paid it no attention to it. They are usually so curious- but not this time. So, I think it will work out fine. I sincerely doubt the vandals got stung..these bees are so docile, we haven't been stung once. But, one can hope!!!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have never had to move a hive but I have heard that if you put a small tree branch on top of the hive so that it kind of drapes over the front it helps them to reorientate to the new location.
Its like a landmark for them.
Good luck with it, its nice to see so many other beekeepers here.