Chickens and new sprouts

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Have to agree with fencing everything off. The chickens will eat your garden no matter what stage the plants are in....so if you protect them with mesh or temporary measures while the plants are new and small, as soon as you remove the "protection", hey, it looks even better to your birds.

Anne

Jost

Sprout
Reaction score
will dumping a garbage can with clorox water hurt my grass? I put a large plastic garbage can with water/clorox outside this summer to drop the hummer feeders and all my chicken stuff- feeders, waterers, plates and bowls with snacks in to soak before bringing inside to clean with soap & water. It has worked great, making me feel a bit more comfortable when I bring in the bird items that they are basically clear of any bacteria or contaminants. The water is about 100 to 1 but you can smell the clorox. I used a 10:1 formula in the ER when I worked but don't think that strength is necessary here. Anyway, back to my question, it is getting to the point that I would like to put in fresh water, but just realized, this may damage the lawn when I dump it.... also my chickens free range and I wondered could this hurt them? I can haul it in buckets to the woods but wondered if that would be necessary. Thanks for any advice, jane in NC

Jost

Sprout
Reaction score
whoops! I thought I was asking a question to the group, not replying to this topic.... sorry, someday I'll get this forum thing down, but I am a newbie, please forgive! jane

Latest posts