Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever really thought of a garden without seeing chickens in the picture. In my life those two things go hand in hand and I've seldom had one without the other down through the years. Harvest time brings that home in spades, as all the garden and canning waste is recycled into eggs and meat, with nothing going to waste.

Anything they don't eat gets integrated into and underneath my deep litter in the coop, where all the bugs and worms make short work of it...and those same bugs and worms then become food for the chickens, which then make food for me, so it's a lovely circle of life and good use of all things.

900x900px-LL-88dddac1_100_3481.jpeg

Even pulled weeds go into that deep litter as fodder for the bugs and microorganisms underneath...

900x900px-LL-09d516c9_100_3355.jpeg

I started counting eggs produced in this small flock since the three new pullets from a hatch last fall came into lay this early spring and throughout all three of them going broody and raising chicks, through older hens coming into and out of lay, with no more than 7-8 mature hens on hand at all times but none laying all at once...usually just 2-3 birds laying at a time...and in the past 172 days we've gotten 694 eggs.

During that time I also culled 5 old~ or nonproducing young~ hens and canned 10 jars of meat & broth, produced 28 chicks, while fostering 6 more, which are now growing into a new flock. And that's just a very small flock of birds.

I can't even imagine how many pests I'd have in the garden if they weren't constantly gleaning bugs all day, every day of those seasons. These chickens only get fed once each evening, so the bulk of their daily intake comes from off the land in the form of insects, grubs, worms, lizards, snakes, fallen fruit and greens....and scraps from our kitchen and garden.

900x900px-LL-2f789ff4_100_3357.jpeg

I love this symbiotic relationship and I my frugal soul loves that nothing goes to waste, but is recycled to even more food and that goes round and round, season after season and year after year.

To me they have more worth than pigs for recycling food scraps, as they are able to get out and glean food off the land, while also producing protein all year long in the form of fresh eggs. For the long haul, they make more sense to me than just about any other farm animal...eggs, meat, pest bug and snake control, and they reproduce and care for their own replacements and all that on a minimum of feed. If the flock is big enough, they can also pay for their own feed in egg sales alone.

Do you all make chickens part of your gardening plans?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the reasons I had gotten hens was for tick control. Really wanted guinea , but to loud for city.

You made the right decision. I really don't know where folks ever got the idea that guinea fowl eat more ticks than chickens. My dogs haven't had a tick in nigh on 15 yrs since I got a wireless fence system that keeps them in the same area of the chickens. Free range chickens eat anything a guinea will eat.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The biggest drawback I see with my chickens is that they are hard on flower beds. I have wire fencing around one, but the others just become playgrounds for the chickens.
But I agree on the bug control. Grasshoppers, ticks, grubs, Japanese beetles. They are valuable from one end to the other.
Beekissed, will you come to my house and butcher 4 old chickens for me? You can have them. I don't quite have your pragmatic pioneering spirit, and don't think I could enjoy eating them after they have been around me for several years. :idunno

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The biggest drawback I see with my chickens is that they are hard on flower beds. I have wire fencing around one, but the others just become playgrounds for the chickens.
But I agree on the bug control. Grasshoppers, ticks, grubs, Japanese beetles. They are valuable from one end to the other.
Beekissed, will you come to my house and butcher 4 old chickens for me? You can have them. I don't quite have your pragmatic pioneering spirit, and don't think I could enjoy eating them after they have been around me for several years. :idunno

You know, I've often felt a person could make a pretty lucrative living just by driving around the country nowadays and doing that very thing...just killing chickens for folks who have never done it or don't want to learn or even helping those who wish to learn. :)

Lots of people getting into chickens nowadays and they really love the bird and the eggs, but the other part seems to be the sticking point. It's sort of like having a baby...the sex is great, pregnancy is often without too much pain or strife but the delivery is more likely to be a bad experience, but once you do it the first time you realize that it was all worth it to have that little baby. And you can enjoy that little child no matter how horrible the delivery might have been and so you do it again...and then again...and, if you are like my folks, you do it 9 times!

I think, if once you tasted your own chickens, you'd realize they taste just like...chicken. No emotions can really change the taste of the chicken, no more than a hard delivery can steal the joy of a newborn baby, that I have found. No matter how attached I am to a certain bird, they all still taste pretty much like chicken to me.

Sometimes I even imagine the really great birds have a particularly great flavor...but that's all in my imagination. They still just taste like chicken. :D

We've been able to deter them from the flower beds by laying down deer netting and planting into and through it. They don't like to scratch that stuff, so just anchor it down good and they start to avoid those places. Now we don't have any deer netting down and they leave the flower beds alone. That might be different if we didn't have so much space and other areas for them to forage, so a smaller setup might want to just leave the deer netting in place.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh man, childbirth? Now I really don't want to kill then eat those chickens! :ep
Just kidding, of course. I'm pretty sure there is not enough meat on these birds to warrant a stew pot, but I think they would make some broth. On the Easter eggers, they have prominent breast bones. Not enough meat for a sammich.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had that whole life circle thing going at our old place. So far, at new place, haven't gotten that organized yet. I am in total agreement with your chicken program and am slowly working my way there.

I have 5 old hens, 2 of which are pets and have earned their leisure. I will butcher the other 3 as soon as the 6 golden comet pullets start laying.

We just got the front fully enclosed so neighborhood dogs can't get in and have let the girls out a few times.

Bee, do you pre cook and strip meat off bones, or do you can raw chicken in pieces? I have canned broth, but not the meat.