Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Think of them as homeless pets. You can make a fine home for them. Even a spot in the non-freezing basement will make them happy and give you some of the best-est fertilizer money could by.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My new chicken dog pup's training progresses:

Ben is now 3 mo. old and is doing very well with all of his training except one thing....pooping in the wrong place in the yard. I keep scooping it and placing it where it should go and covering his last poo spot with cinnamon to discourage another drop, but he just isn't getting it. I've led him over there after his meal and waited, but he doesn't go when I'm there. Later on I'll get back to the house and look out the window to see him going in the wrong place once again. :he

Anybody got any tips for this? :barnie

Other than that he is doing great....he's much quicker to respond to all that he knows~sit, lie down, stay sit, stay lie down, come, back and the general correction sound of "AAAAaaaaaaaattttttt!!!" :gig

He's now lying down to get his food....he went from sitting patiently and calmly, then I put him in a lie down position before he gets his food...he'll be expected to do that each time before he gets fed until he automatically lies down to wait each time. Eventually he will be expected to lie down/stay until I tell him he can have his food, just like Jake.

I know that doesn't seem important to most folks, but both dogs tend to gobble their food and if they have to wait calmly before commencing, they tend to eat slower.

I want him to be able to display calm behavior at feeding time, before he gets so big that a dancing, jumping dog becomes a danger to anyone there....Aliza likes to go with me to feed the dogs, so waiting calmly and still is important for them, for us.

Today he swallowed a small squirrel in under 5 min.....a whole squirrel. Yesterday he swallowed a squirrel skin and head in under 15 seconds...didn't even chew much at all. :th He also snatched chicken bones and guts right from under Jake's nose today and Jake let him....this tells me that Jake is more than willing to let this pup take over later on. That's okay with me, as I need this pup to be the dominant dog. Jake is much too friendly to stray dogs and I really need this pup to take a more territorial stance to these dogs. This may keep me from having to kill stray dogs in the future...namely, my neighbor's dogs, which he lets run loose..one is a known chicken killer.

My egg count is up...no more pups slipping into the coop to steal an egg or two. :D Ben got a little collar trinket that prevents his egg suckin' ways....a piece of broom handle that keeps him from going in my pop doors.

LL

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job on the training Bee. He sure is a handsome fellow.

I always make my dogs sit before getting fed too. And they know what "wait" means. It's a more relaxed version of stay for me. It means they have to wait to jump in the back of the truck until they get the go ahead, or wait for me to pass through a door or gate before them. A mannerly dog is such a pleasure to be around. :)

For the problem of pooing in the wrong spot I would crate him after his meal for an hour or at least long enough that you think he's getting uncomfortable, then take him on leash to the designated area and wait. Right as he begins to go, give him the "cue" word then praise him heartily and let him off lead.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really have a crate, though I have a larger pen/kennel...but am thinking he'll just go in the pen, won't he? If not, I'll certainly try this!

What word should I use as a cue word? :D

I've started his training in the vehicle, but need to step it up on that. I too want them to wait to load up and then wait to get down...it's so very useful to have a dog that will wait for these things.

I love a mannerly dog as well...can't STAND it when folks let their dogs greet you by jumping up on your pants. :mad: It's decidedly NOT cute and totally unnecessary when it's easily corrected if they would just put in a little effort.

This dog will be big...probably near 100 lbs when full grown, so he needs to be extra mannerly around people. He's a pretty calm puppy already but he can be playful at times, particularly around my little granddaughter...I'd prefer he remain calm when near her, so am working on basic commands for when he forgets to do so.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ben is adorable. I've never had a dog or know how to train one, but I appreciate people who do! I was always afraid of dogs, and I too hate when dogs jump up on me, even if they are friendly. People always say, "no jumping", while the dog jumps again and again. And everyone always says, "oh, sorry, he never does that!" It has become an insider joke with DH and me.

The swallowing squirrels in one bite got my attention (like in the rat video). No bites on the poison yet, but I've had some partial success with strategically placed buried hardware cloth.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
At only 3 months old he is doing great !!!!! Does he poop where ever he wants or does he go to same spot all the time? i think thistle's suggestion of a crate is a good one. You can pick up crate cheap on craigs list. They have many uses other then dog training. If you ever need to separate a hen from flock or hospital cage for sick animal. Around here I get them free, client use to train puppy, then give away ( one of the few things free here LOL)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
When our son and family go away to the coast for a weekend, they bring their dog over to our house. She is about 20 lbs. and asks to go out to go potty. The only place that she will go poop in is onto our gravel walkway in the back yard. No matter if I take her out on a leach or if I go out to supervise her deposit place , she will NOT poop. Even if she is desperate to go, she will not do it. If I am still there and she is off leach or if she is on a leash she will then just run onto the stone gravel and immediately poop as she goes . It is a production and a half to police and pick up the poop as she makes the deposit into about a dozen very small ( like rabbit pellets ) poops onto the crushed rock walkway. Any ideas that will actually work ??????? :caf

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I like to use "take a break" as a cue word. Got that from an old friend of mine when she had her first apartment and a Great Dane. I always thought it was obscure enough to use as a specific command for relieving themselves, and not so offensive as some cues I have heard if you had to raise your voice.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When our son and family go away to the coast for a weekend, they bring their dog over to our house. She is about 20 lbs. and asks to go out to go potty. The only place that she will go poop in is onto our gravel walkway in the back yard. No matter if I take her out on a leach or if I go out to supervise her deposit place , she will NOT poop. Even if she is desperate to go, she will not do it. If I am still there and she is off leach or if she is on a leash she will then just run onto the stone gravel and immediately poop as she goes . It is a production and a half to police and pick up the poop as she makes the deposit into about a dozen very small ( like rabbit pellets ) poops onto the crushed rock walkway. Any ideas that will actually work ??????? :caf

Why don't you make her her own private gravel potty spot. Some dogs like a specific surface to relieve themselves on. She is probably used to gravel, so to her that's the "correct" spot. You could frame it in with some 2x4's and put it somewhere out of the way in your yard.

Latest posts