Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bee, I saw a 5' to 6' black rat snake in a shed not that far from the chicken coop yesterday. He had some beautiful orange/yellow flecks in the black so it was a rat snake, not a racer. It was not in the coop and had a lump in him that looked like a mouse, so I let him go. As long as they leave the eggs and chicks alone I want them around.
So darn glad we do not have them here

Penny, if that chicken crows that's a dead giveaway, but mine don't always crow that much. If that chicken is anywhere close to mature and isn't trying to mount the hens it's probably not a male. Mounting is such a common flock behavior. If you can post a photo I bet Bee could tell you at a glance what gender it is. A close-up of the head often helps but I also like a shot showing profile so I can see the legs, tail, and posture.

Kinda found had her in a crate alone she layed a nice egg for me :ya

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I got my first good look at Miss Molly's litter of kittens. She had them underneath our cabin and we didn't know how many she had, but yesterday we lifted up a hatch under the porch and was able to shine a good light in there and count heads.

We counted at least 4! Three white kits and one tabby with white markings. :love One kit we got to see up close as it fell out of the hiding space a few days ago....that thing was wild as a bobcat! Bout took my hand off when I tried to pick it up....finally had to pick it up by the tail so I could grab it by the scruff of the neck. :D He has an extra toe on each front paw, which gives him the appearance of wearing big mittens. Someone has already called dibs on that one.

I can't wait until she brings them out of hiding and starts teaching them to hunt...should be fun to watch. I'd like to keep at least one of them, possibly a male, and neuter him or Flash, either one. I'm hoping the tabby is a male for this purpose...I'd like to find homes for the white cats and that shouldn't be too hard.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been considering getting a couple of cats again. The gophers have riddled the lawn with tunnels and holes. Mowing is now like pushing a mower over the Baja 500 course. :\

But the neighbors picked up some dumped kitties a year ago, never had them neutered and they are all on their second litters. I have one hanging out in my equipment shed up front, so my husband suggested I put out food for it in there to encourage it to stay and hunt. I do think they are probably hunting as the neighbors are pretty spotty on animal care and I'm sure the only meals they get regularly are the ones they catch.

Not the same as having my own cats, because I do enjoy sitting outside sometimes with a cat curled up on my lap, but as long as they don't start spraying everything they are welcome to come and hunt here.
The dogs disagree, but so far the cats are faster.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
that is why we ended up with three outside cats at the old house my BF fed all the local ferals
when we came to moving there where 5 feral kittens them Mom and Dad, we caught all but Dad Mooch
he was too smart for havahart traps but we did get the kittens and Mom she was so mean and feral we let her stay with Mooch
kittens we raised and altered 2 went to friends, the three we kept and socialized

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today was officially hatch day but as usual they were early. Last time I did this eight weeks ago I put six eggs under a broody and 3 hatched. I also put 12 in the incubator and 6 hatched. 50% incubator and broody. Practically all that did not hatch were clears.

This time was a little different. I put five under the broody, all five hatched. I put 14 in the incubator and only had one clear. Of those 13, I took 11 chicks out this morning and gave them to the broody. But when I took them out I noticed that the last two eggs had pipped, I'll see if they hatch so I can add them to her brood. Same hens, same rooster. it's amazing the difference in clear eggs just 8 weeks apart.

Broody Chicks.JPG

Broody with the ones she hatched.

Incubator Chicks.JPG

Incubator chicks, obviously

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today was officially hatch day but as usual they were early. Last time I did this eight weeks ago I put six eggs under a broody and 3 hatched. I also put 12 in the incubator and 6 hatched. 50% incubator and broody. Practically all that did not hatch were clears.

This time was a little different. I put five under the broody, all five hatched. I put 14 in the incubator and only had one clear. Of those 13, I took 11 chicks out this morning and gave them to the broody. But when I took them out I noticed that the last two eggs had pipped, I'll see if they hatch so I can add them to her brood. Same hens, same rooster. it's amazing the difference in clear eggs just 8 weeks apart.

View attachment 20077
Broody with the ones she hatched.

View attachment 20078
Incubator chicks, obviously

Those are all nice chicks!! Big and healthy looking. Makes you wonder why the difference in hatch rate, doesn't it? Warmer weather causing more hormone flush?

That gives me hope for the clutch I just started under a broody...same eggs, same hens and rooster, but hopefully a better outcome on the rate.