Chickens or Rabbits. Which to raise and eat?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I, too, love to hear the chickens as it takes me back to my childhood days and fond memories of my mom. However, I must say that these past two years we had the noisiest rooster ever. He was beautiful but he crowed morning, noon, and night every day. Good thing we don't have neighbors - they would have had a fit! Our loudmouth became part of our Thanksgiving meal this year. Now I understand the saying "silence is golden" ;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
I, too, love to hear the chickens as it takes me back to my childhood days and fond memories of my mom. However, I must say that these past two years we had the noisiest rooster ever. He was beautiful but he crowed morning, noon, and night every day. Good thing we don't have neighbors - they would have had a fit! Our loudmouth became part of our Thanksgiving meal this year. Now I understand the saying "silence is golden" ;)
We had a big beautiful rooster too Smiles, and he would start crowing every morning at 3a.m., and continuously throughout the day. It didn't bother me so much, but my family was greatly annoyed by it, so I sold him to a guy that lives down in the south part of the state.
He has a fly tying business and raises chickens for the feathers. I suppose they use the meat and eggs too ;) .

The funny thing is , once Russel was gone my Austrolorp hen took up crowing. It was the funniest thing. She has since quit, deciding it's better to be a hen.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love to hear hens when they're singing to themselves. They sound so contented.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you hear them making that contended sound, it is as if, all is right with the world!

Latest posts