Chiggers in the Winter?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like I have gotten chigger bites on my legs, mostly, after DH and I went to the creek last Saturday.
Small red bumps, like a chigger bite but smaller, and I seemed to get new ones for about 4 days, like I have known to happen with regular springtime chiggers. Itch like the devil, and painful, too.
Do you think a 60+ sunny day might hatch out a few chiggers? I was sitting on the gravel bar, looking at rocks. They usually don't appear till the first part of May.
Anything else you can think of? Not fleas. Not ticks. Not bedbugs, I don't think. (Only bites are under my clothes, mostly under my socks.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had something very similar happen really early in the year of 2012, So Lucky. I too thought they were chiggers because I notice that the rash/bumps were moving all over the place. I had that rash over probably about every square inch of me from head to toe for weeks. After continuously putting everything from Witch Hazel and Tee Tree oil to this pink spray stuff (I forgot the name of it, it drys and cracks on your skin like mud in the middle of a drought) . I had never heard of sand fleas before. Now that I think about it I was on the pebble-y streambanks. And a lot of what I was doing was looking at rocks. Your current situation seems about identical to my old one.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds pretty much like mine. I am still getting a few new itchy spots, but they are not nearly as bad as the first ones. I think I read somewhere that on subsequent occasions, a person will not have nearly as bad a reaction, then down to almost nothing. Maybe our body builds up a tolerance to the poison. That makes sense, otherwise, we all would be itching like crazy all the time.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll go ahead and experiment with it when I go out looking for snowdrops tomorrow.

If things get too ugly, I may need to activate my emergency sand flea shield.... :hide

Latest posts