Child-rearing Values

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
international child-rearing values story: (link).

Believe it or not, I once delved deeply into this subject, relative to people who have experienced crises in their personal lives. That was a long time ago and I did not pursue this academic foray into the professional world.

We fairly well turned @so lucky 's anticipated sweet potato harvest thread into a discussion on child-rearing. Here's a survey you can take if you'd like to sort out your personal views. A worldwide survey was completed by an organization and comparison between countries shown in the graphic. I looked a little at that since American values is more familiar to me than most other cultures, I was surprised by comparison with China, for example. Middle Eastern and North African comparisons showed what I somewhat expected but with one big surprise. Tolerance and respect for others - great similarity with the US!

It is a little ironic that the "American Values" survey comes out at the same time ... Although not quite children, we have also learned what single young people are looking for. It should not be any surprise that young women want a partner with a steady job by nearly 80%. Might be surprising that young men are expecting the same from their wives by nearly half! I wonder how much that has changed since I was growing up ...

Steve

Edit -- yes, I told my DD that sunflower seed butter is good with freshly sliced tomatoes but will correct that today. It was peanut butter in the picture and I was just trying ... oh, never mind :hide.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is an interesting survey/analysis. I was least like a Ukrainian in my child rearing priorities. Maybe young couples need to take a test like that before they are allowed to have kids. Mandatory!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked at lot of different countries with what I thought was a good look at different cultures. I think every country I looked at had tolerance over 50% as a value that should be taught. I wonder how that plays out in reality? How many actually teach tolerance? This survey was values that should be taught, not necessarily values that are taught. And it is not necessarily a survey of parents.

I was closest to New Zealand and furthest from Morocco.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took the survey. The results showed my choices had been changed dramatically and had me closer to three African countries -- Ghana being one of them -- in child rearing. Since my choices were changed by the program, the results were not accurate.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can take the test over, Red, if you think the results were wonky.
It is heartening, I think, when you look at what you think is important for your kids to learn, then look at your kids and realize that they are examples of those ideals. The old saying that kids learn what they live is so true.
I just wish I had known "better" when my kids were small and impressionable. There are lots of things that I wish I had emphasized, now that I am a wise old woman, haha. (Like making money IS important, after all!)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Values like tolerance become entangled in politics by those who are tolerant and those who are not. Demagogues may inflame groups on society-wide issues and concerns.

Respect and Empathy or Anger and Intolerance. The latter are the easier of the emotions to excite.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense. Long, tiring day.

Steve

Latest posts