Chipmunk day :) and mindless public rambling ..please join in

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today is the day when the chipmunk comes to visit ..(my three year old suprise grandson..do not ask just another American saga)
I have such spring fever as most of you guys do I am sure ..except those who live in Southern Ca trying to find out what to do with tomato plants :p !!! I am so jealous of you!!!!

We are picking him up in 2 hours ..then we are going on a hike my husband's newest nature score of an entire beaverhood!!! When I say "National Geographic moment" here I mean it!!!! Here is a perfect dam a perfect pond.. a perfect lodge ....lots of chewed trees and best of all there is a very frisky boy there who is proud of his stuff!!! Just strutting his goods in a very animated way! .. He is so visible and lots of tail slapping it is just so fun! Less than a mile from my house :)

it is so beautiful I can not even tell you ...but not fun dragging my butt through the mud to get there ....today there is some sun :) I see it!!!! .hopefully we will get some good photos today ..I want to video him but he is way too smart for us

we think he found a girlfriend because on top of getting to see all this in the midst of urban sprawl ...there is a lot of tribble sounding talk inside the den

I am almost feeling a big voyeuristic here (insert blush)

the sun is out I can actually see the Olympic MTs . it feels like a heavy plate has been lifted off our heads here!!! It feels to me like the sky literally sits... ...right on top of your head here

while you smothered in snow and ice I feel for you ..we all really love where we live don't we??? if not MOVE!!!

but you can see why I am excited to get out today :)

I wish you all a very nice day as well and hopefully I can post pictures for anyone who enjoys the idea of an entire beaver setup ...they are amasingly manic are they not??? wow the stuff they can get accomplished!!!
they remind me with all their projects of people I know ..ok me too :p

I know some people curse them
I say "whatever" to each his own pest ..personally I prefer an owl grab a chicken and take off than to have them die of disease or a neighbors cat getting them ..I like having an owl in the trees over my house ...so that is where my brain is at :)

we are also going to plant seeds in those insanely pricey apple packs people get at costco that look like biospheres? you know what I mean? yes people here in WA buy apples like that and I shamelessly say "STUPID!!!!"

when they do I take them and use them for mini green houses ..

today we are going to start a bunch of flowers!

I have Althea (rose of sharon) from Greensage already sprouting and am so excited to see it ...thanks Ron if you are around the seeds are all sprouting!

anyway maybe if we donate money we can have a blog spot for this kind of mindless ramble

in the mean time consider this an open mindless garden thread and participate freely with no rules of topic

(all with in the board TOS however )

have a good day plant something to cheer yourself up if you can!

I need to also rant about damp off later but it is too nice for that now

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a lovely day planned! Enjoy the sunshine! Would love to see pics of the dam. Nature is so cool... Little too early for me to plant seeds, but I have transplanted a few house plants. Good to dig a little in the dirt. Have a wonderful hike!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That really does sound fabulous... I would be impatient to get going too!!! :D

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HI Hidelight,

Apple packs, wow, I never even thought of that!

Well, since we are in the same zone, I want to ask you about starting seeds. I have mini greenhouses like the size of your apple pack greenhouse. Do you have lights and a "warmer"? I don't when do you think I can start my seeds without all that stuff?

Sounds like you are having a great day!

I havn't planted anything outside yet, but I'm getting my garden ready! I also built on a compost area to my garden. It will help buffer the raspberries, that hopefully will be growing on the garden fence, from those silly sheep I have.

Going back outside to bask in the glorious sun!!

Last night we had a campfire, the stars were magnificient and the background music was preformed by a million frogs. Ahhhh....

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OH BBH is it not amazing out :) for sure get your peas ..spinach ..some lettuce anything that is cold hardy can go in now here ..your climate is just about like mine where you are I believe ..so go for it ..let the pig plow and you plant! ...
How wonderful to even see the sky let alone see the stars ...it is such a relief from all the gray ...I love the gray do not get me wrong ..living in a gray sepia world has its own beauty romance and charm! That is why vampire groupies found Forks!! and why Forks was used for Vampirey backdrop! ..we just oooze that here ..but it sure is not for anyone prone to SAD! ..I get miserable after a while and NEED sun!!! but would not live anywhere else...

Chipmunk asked for a fire in the fire pit so maybe this weekend if we can find ANY dry wood! I may succumb to a presto log I have hidden in the garage just to make some atmosphere LOLOL!!!

the trip to the dam was amazing I am trying to put together a blog post so I can share it with my family (that is why I keep a blog actually everyone is spread out so it is fun to have one for them to look at when they want to)

we saw the beaver ..wood ducks ..widgeons ..king fishers..bald eagles were all over the place! ...and there is a heron rookery full of sparing herons right near by

I hope you guys get to have a "day out" this week ..

time stands still when you are with a 3 year old who is doing some serious fishing with a bent stick :)

he was fascinated with the chewed logs ..the Lodge the pond ...

catkins, pussywillows in the woods...madrona are in bloom... the cherry trees are blooming in yards...so are the camillias ...mine is loaded with buds but not quite open yet
all the bulbs are up and will burst open soon I bet

my sweet box is just now ending but the sweet aroma of that wonderful bush still lingers ..I would love to have several more of them they are an amazing plant to bloom in the winter with such a sweet summer fragrance

Chipmunk planted his own square foot garden yesterday ..he has one full raised bed that he can do what he wants to with it! I am so excited to see how it evolves for him ..there are no rules he just gets to choose plant and tend ... ...and he put peas, broccoli spinach and beets in yesterday ..we covered it with a little plastic hoophouse and we will see what happens!

today we are going to wander the waterfront
what is blooming where you guys are?

I am going to stop blabbing and hope someone else takes over and blabs about their world too :) please do ..ramble on!!!

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Stuck here is suburbia, your words make the most beautiful pictures for me. :ya

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my husband and I had a blog off and I seriously hate to admit this but ..his blog posts kick my blog post's butt! (I am going to blame my poor writing lately for sure on my bifocals!)
beaver day part 1 for your viewing pleasure

only if you are really a nature geek otherwise this is going to bore you to death I bet!

http://hidelight.wordpress.com/

http://birdmandea.blogspot.com/

I have lots more photos to add of plants and views but ran out of room in the post and patience

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is so cool! I would have to walk out there every day and see what they were up to! Great pics!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks it is so pretty and so close ..seriously I live surrounded by urban sprawl and there are so many little areas tucked away ..thank goodness for water protection acts because that is why all this is there!

could have been another damn golf club :p

Latest posts