Chipmunk day :) and mindless public rambling ..please join in

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not mean to hijack here, however, this has been my experience. If old people live long enough we have lots of experiences. :old Look, I hate to be the dingbat that brings this uphowever, keep an eye out for human interference with these animals. I do not recall if they are protected or not. Even then, there are ignorant jerks out there. :barnie

This old woman in her prime has had her run-ins with people with guns. I am not talking about people who hunt. I am talking about people who kill just to be killing something and that something is of no consequence to them or their survival.

My husband and I use to go fishing in some of the I would like to say the most remote areas of this country. It was more like.if we could get the overhead camper in somewhere off the main road we did. No one for miles and all to ourselves ..most of the time.

Once in Utah we had been fishing. Our beloved dog Kippy was always with us. She was totally harmless and would never hurt or chased any other animals. She loved everyone and everything. :love

When we fished, she would run freely. Since my husband and I never fished in the same spot, she would go check on him and then would go find me and see what I was doing. This was her whole routine and she never wander off. I am thinking now in my ignorance...that we were very lucky that nothing up and grabbed her...because we in our travels have seen big "kittys" and the like quite often. Nature was good to us.

This one day as we had started back to the camper and I ran smack into a skunk. :ep There was me, the skunk and the river/creek. The skunk was backed up against the water. Not a good place for an animal to possibly be panicked into thinking it was trapped. I was probably about five feet from the little critter.

Skunky, was not panicked.... yet. I turned my head and yelled in a loud whisper to my husband to grab the dog as a precaution. We then slowly and with good thoughts in our heads sidled by Skunky. The dear little near-sighted thing just watched us go by, dog and all. What a treat that was for us to have experienced.

We were back at the truck and in the camper when I heard a young boy yelling to his Dad. I guess they had driven up and park off away from us because we did not know they were there.

Anyway he was yellingDad, Dad get the gun. There is a skunk by the river! My husband looked at meI am sure I turned redder than my hair.

I slammed open the camper door and came out all the while yelling..Thats right just because they call it WILD LIFE you have to blast it away! :barnie :barnie :barnie

For now, it escapes my memory if any other astute things were said on my behalf. :rolleyes: By this time, the Dad had a rifle in his hands and was grabbing his son and was doing a hasty retreat into HIS camper. I was ever so mad.

The next day we came back to fish that spot again. This time I chose the right side of the bridge and as I scrambled down the bank, there was the unmistakable smell of skunk in the air.

Thenthere it was. I came across a little skunk body, or what was left of it. However, the bullet hole was very evident. I will never know if that was OUR skunk or not. I only keep asking .WHY?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
awesome post!!! see that is what I am talking about :) !!!

I could see how it went down with Ladyhawke!

I added part 2 to the blog if you want to see the pond and dam

sadly my husband wins the blog off since he actually got the beaver on his camera

but I think I win for the cuteness of a 3 year old fishing with a stick :)

I hope there are others out there making adventures today

I am going to pressure wash the side walk and driveway...dont be jealous!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
one thing I found on the walk to the beaverhood was some holly and other plants that were obviously from folks dumping garden waste over the canyon :( that is so thoughtless

I had a friend who swore daffodils were native to Western Washington ..she always saw them even as a child on all her walks in the woods so why think otherwise?

I hate that ..especially the English ivy that is just brutal to our woodlands here I do try when walking to pick up garbage and pull invasive non native species as I can ..but it is way too much work for one person to accomplish sadly

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
awesome post!!! see that is what I am talking about :) !!!

I could see how it went down with Ladyhawke!

I added part 2 to the blog if you want to see the pond and dam

sadly my husband wins the blog off since he actually got the beaver on his camera

but I think I win for the cuteness of a 3 year old fishing with a stick :)

I hope there are others out there making adventures today

I am going to pressure wash the side walk and driveway...dont be jealous!
I am under pressure just- to- do- the- wash today. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight:

I just saw your blog. There are such amazing things that others do not see because their growth has been stunted.

All day, and sometimes 24/7, they are stuck inside a box in a world made of plastic, steel and cement. We must be the ones to point the way to the smallest of miracles so that they do not miss the world.

I have one gripe. What are you doing with MY BUCKET! ? :gig

Latest posts