Chive flowers

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year I planted what was supposed to be garlic chives. The pictures show purple edible flowers, this year they flowered... but the flowers are right? Do I not have garlic chives???

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The ones I've seen had either ivory or light yellow flowers. There are two types of garlic chives. One seldom flowers and is used for the leaves, the other has a stalk about 18 inches long and the stalk stays tender till the flowers are well opened.
If your leaves are flat and have a mild garlic taste you have one type or the other.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's the thing, I haven't eaten them! :lol: Not a fan, I know my husband likes them on a baked potato, and I thought the picture with the purple flowers were pretty, so in my garden they go.

They do look like chives... and they smell oniony to me, but I'm not exactly getting 'garlic' from the scent. :/

Oh well, no biggy... they are still pretty and they play well with my parsley. Thanks Hoodat!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
That's the thing, I haven't eaten them! :lol: Not a fan, I know my husband likes them on a baked potato, and I thought the picture with the purple flowers were pretty, so in my garden they go.

They do look like chives... and they smell oniony to me, but I'm not exactly getting 'garlic' from the scent. :/

Oh well, no biggy... they are still pretty and they play well with my parsley. Thanks Hoodat!
Sunds as though you have the onion chives rather than garlic chives. The stalk from flowering garlic chive adds a nice flavor to stir fries, especially with chicken.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whats with all the crazy signature spammers all of a sudden?

adoptedbyachicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So don't click on the siggy links. Click on the word 'report' on the lower right of the spammer's post. That hails every Moderator and Admin to the very post by link. Give a reason in the box, just spam, or offensive or whatever fits your reason for reporting.

If you leave them for us to search for it will likely be a long wait. ;)

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Last year I planted what was supposed to be garlic chives. The pictures show purple edible flowers, this year they flowered... but the flowers are right? Do I not have garlic chives???
I have both regualr chives and garlic chives in my herb garden. The garlic chives have white flowers - quite pretty and not at all like regular purple chives flowers. I have pics on my blog of both blossoms in the thread on my herb garden.

http://mountaingardengleanings.blogspot.com/2010/09/herb-garden.html

Latest posts