chive seeds...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i sowed some chive seeds yeaterday and today it rained so much that the area i have the chives is flooded, is there any hope their ok?
Or should i add more soil to the top if the rain washed a layer of soil away.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Usually when I plant chives I do not use all of my seeds and as they begin to grow I resow over a few weeks to ensure that I get a thick enough mound to support the plants.

I would wait, chances are by adding more soil you might be over-burying the seeds and they won't be able to make it through to the surface.

You should know from 7-10 days, no more than two weeks at the most.

Sorry for the mishap, but even without things like this we never can be sure how a sowing will take until the they sprout. I swear I find seeds 1/2 block from where they were intended. :/

Goodluck, Ron

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Usually when I plant chives I do not use all of my seeds and as they begin to grow I resow over a few weeks to ensure that I get a thick enough mound to support the plants.

I would wait, chances are by adding more soil you might be over-burying the seeds and they won't be able to make it through to the surface.

You should know from 7-10 days, no more than two weeks at the most.

Sorry for the mishap, but even without things like this we never can be sure how a sowing will take until the they sprout. I swear I find seeds 1/2 block from where they were intended. :/

Goodluck, Ron
Thanks Greensage!!! :thumbsup

This is my first year with chives so i'm excited to get it planted, but like you said i'll just wait a week then if i have to i'll re sow, do they grow quick by any chance?

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've had the best results by starting the seeds in a pot then transplanting the whole clump outside.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
meriruka1 said:
I've had the best results by starting the seeds in a pot then transplanting the whole clump outside.
thanks for the reply but my chives seem to be doing good now, i'm just snipping them back to keep them growing nice and vigourous.

Latest posts