chopsticks (#@!$%^&)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I brought the last of the Chirstmas morning sausage, egg, mushroom cass. for breakfast today. After the first rush of trucks got finished I poped it in the microwave, poured a cup of coffee and 'tuned-in' to TEG.
DING! Breakfast is ready!
I did not bring a fork.

I had a pair of chopsticks (I don't remember why I have them here...) and decided that eggs, bread, cheese & sausage should be easy to eat with chopsticks. Not so.
The scalehouse smells devine - and I am determined not to let 2 little twigs make a fool out of me.... but this is WAY HARD!

Does anyone use these things? How and when did you learn? Do you use them regularly? For?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use plastic chopsticks whenever I’m canning something in quart jars, which pretty much means dill pickles or soup. Everything else is n pints or half-pints. They work great at getting the air bubbles out and don’t scratch the glass but are generally too thick to work well with things in pint jars. I use a plastic fast-food knife for those but quarts are too deep for those plastic knives. Can’t reach the bottom.

I used to use them some at Chinese restaurants when I was younger but now just use a fork when I go to one of those places. It takes some practice but I used to be pretty good with them. I don’t even know how I learned, just wouldn’t give up until I figured it out.

Something I noticed. I worked with a Chinese engineer that used to bring his lunch to work, always a bowl of rice with stuff in the rice. He always used chopsticks. While he was really good with them and could pick tiny things up with ease, most of the time he’d pick that bowl of rice up to his mouth and practically shovel the stuff in instead of picking it up. He never dropped a morsel.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've tried them a few times, really don't see the point in the darned things. Just think of them as a giant pair of tweezers. Sometimes you can stab whatever your eating to get to it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, hold a small bowl in one hand, sticks in the other, Cane'.

Nope, won't use them. I need that 2nd hand to turn the pages of the seed catalog beside my dinner.

Fork is good enuf . . . I'll even hold it properly.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only time I use them is when we go out for japanese food. Tables are set with them. In a chinese restaurant I use a fork because it's on the table. I much prefer forks, those sticks are hard to use.

I would suggest you just put them together and use them like a shovel Cane!

Mary

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haha, the only thing i can "usually" eat with chopsticks is sushi. But yes, i've seen the shoveling technique, i think its acceptable and authentic way to go!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Way too stupid to figure them out... whenever I go for Chinese with DD she attempts to teach me. No success as of yet!

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chopsticks?....aren't that difficult. Hold the top one, in between thumb, forefinger and 2nd finger. It will be the only one that actually moves. Use it like you are writing with a pencil....moving your 2 fingers up and down, like a scissor action. The bottom chopstick rests against the ring finger. The pinky will be doing nothing but supporting the ring finger. Practice with some drinking straws.
Don't focus on the action itself. Just use the finger action to bring the 2 end tips together, to pick up a piece of food. Or have them together as a scoop action.

Here is a pretty good you tube about it. I use them the same way. I just can't explain it as well as she can.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkLMZF8Ufhg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm, the video didn't seem to work with the tablet, Moxie'.

I may need another Tylenol. Can try it again.

Steve

Latest posts