Christmas came in August!!!! ~potato related~

Teka

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We use big plastic bins that flowering bulbs came in -- sort of like plastic milk bins dairies use, but smaller mesh. They stack. Talk to your local nursery to see it they have them. You could use produce baskets or clothes baskets -- any appropriately sized airy bin.

BUT -- Most importantly, layer your potatoes in good straw. Start with straw, then potatos, etc. The straw helps keep the humidity level steady around the potatoes and keeps light out. Our potatoes stored much better in straw.

I'd definitely keep them off the ground but in the cellar.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, secuono - they look good! Isn't it great to see the fruits of your labor. I just love new potatoes, fresh green beans, and a chunk of ham in the stew pot. One word of advice . . . I was taught that you shouldn't wash your spuds prior to storage. We store our dirt covered spuds in our abandoned cistern in wooden boxes with straw layered as Teka described above. It stays between 55F and 60F and dry down there year 'round. We have successfully kept good potatoes for 9 months with no harmful effects.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't wash them, I rinsed them off. I plan on eating some and I can't have dirt all over the house. Cats would find them and make a mess with and in them...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We didn't bother really storing ours either. We had 17 lbs and I was able to can 7 quarts of potatoes for winter, and we ended up eating the rest pretty quickly! Between hash browns, potato salad, mashed potatoes and chips.... well... they lasted something like 3 weeks! hahaha

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smiles what kind of wooden boxes did you use? Wine crates? Do they need to be open at all? I've never stored potatoes like that we just canned them, but Id prefer to have some whole. Could I use a rubbermaid bin and do my straw layers that way?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had three open slatted crates that I built for something about 10 years ago. They sat around for several years taking up space in the barn. Then we got the bright idea to pack our potatoes in them and it worked out very well. The boxes are about 22" x 22" x 22" and have openings along all 4 sides. About 1 1/2" gaps and 5" x 1/2" boards w/ solid bottom. Open top. I would attach a pic but my camera is water soaked. My grand daughter left it out in the storm a few nights ago. I think it's a gonner. I guess I'll ask for a new camera for Christmas.

I usually put a 1" to 2" layer of straw in the bottom and then a layer of potatoes and then another layer of straw. Repeat until each box is full. I'm guessing that each box will hold about 20# of spuds.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put mine in a metal trash can, with a tight lid. I layer them with straw in between, I put them in my cellar which stay pretty cool in winter.40-50 degrees
secuono said:
Only two of us and we hardly eat, so I need to find a way to save them. :D

How small of wire would I need to keep mice out? Half an inch, even smaller?

Latest posts