Christmas Shopping

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All done:celebrate, everyone is getting gift cards this year so it was easy peasy, they can get something they really like instead of ...........
This the second year DH and I are donating to the S.P. C.A instead of giving each other a gift.

How about you guys, all finished or still tearing around trying to find the right thing for each person.

Annette

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Color me skeptical. All the charities I used to help support have upset me as too much goes to over paid management. Leading the way-for me-is Red Cross who I give blood to.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband came up with the idea of skipping presents this year. Except to his parents. He's trying to help the kids save money. He asked if he ruined things for me by doing that, and at first I was disappointed, I love everybody opening gifts Christmas morning. But the guys say they're alright with it, so I am too. They will still be getting gift cards to their favorite grocery stores though, but that's not a Christmas present. ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only had to buy for my preschoolers. I have a plastic container of new books that I get free with my scholastic points so they get books and a small gift. Went to TJ Maxx and found them.

We are not big Christmas gift givers. We usually draw names and have a $50 limit. This year we decided not to give gifts and go to the theater as a family. Spending time together is so precious to me. With my oldest daughter working night shift and my son always working weekends its hard to schedule time together.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, all the charities I help are local. I know what the needs are and where my gift will be used. Important to me. I agree, so many charities are heavy on management salaries. Not where my money goes.

Done with presents? I haven't even started unless you consider that all the folks are getting a bit-o-green. I usually find something to enclose the green so everyone has something to open.

I'm retired, I've got all the time in the world to shop.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband came up with the idea of skipping presents this year. Except to his parents. He's trying to help the kids save money. He asked if he ruined things for me by doing that, and at first I was disappointed, I love everybody opening gifts Christmas morning. But the guys say they're alright with it, so I am too. They will still be getting gift cards to their favorite grocery stores though, but that's not a Christmas present. ;)
why not have everyone make xmas gifts. The best gift I got was a birdhouse my nephew made when small

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DH and I are ahead of the game this year, which is unusual. I am inventorying all of the presents that I dumped in the upstairs closet to see what else I need to buy. DH dumped his wrapping on me. He seems to believe that our family cares about HOW things are wrapped! My MIL sometimes handed us gifts in the plastic shopping bag that they came home in, and we thought it charming.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still have a couple of little things to pick up for family. Have already given 2 gifts since Dad 'needed' a DVD player back in Sept and my sister was heartbroken to see that Mom's ancient old 'moulie' was beyond antique. I had already planned to get Dad a DVD player but gave it early since he would have gotten it himself before now. And my sister was looking forward to using Mom's to make baked gifts with.
Aside from those - all I have left is a LOT of cookies, a couple of pies and some bread to bake. And a couple of quarts of tortilla soup to make and can.